OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good price?

Started by Boomstick, February 17, 2011, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomstick

This weekend im going to the woodshop on the local army base to try my hand at turning a pot, and ive been looking for some lumber. well i was looking on craigslist and i noticed a guy was selling hard curly maple and walnut for $4 per board foot. i called him and he basically said he'll cut it to whatever size i want, the boards have been sitting in a barn for 25 years, so it should be plenty dry, but my question is, is this a good price? how much wood will i need to make 7 or 8 pot blanks? any info would be great

charlie
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

selinoid44

Free wood is the best wood. Most of the exotics you will have to pay for but domestics I usually am able to get for nothing. I guess that probably didnt answer your question did it? Sorry ;D

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

A board foot equals 12" x 12" x 1".  This can come in many varities - 2"x6"x12", 1"x4"x36" etc.  You don't really want a board thicker than 1" for pots.  If the board is 1" thick, a true 4" wide board would yield a pot for every 4".  You could get 9 pots out of a 36" long board - assuming no major defects in the board that renders a section unusable.  I think $4/bd ft is a a fair price.  For me the bigger savings would be no waste.  If you are able to buy the size board you want, you wil get close to 100% efficient and your cost of wood per pot will be the lowest.  Because most wood is priced per board foot, getting a better deal on a 1 1/2" thick 7" wide board may sound good, but there is going to be a bunch of wood that you didn't get to use, but that you purchased.  Try to use any scraps for strikers.

Good Luck,
Chris

TRKYHTR

Quote from: .308 on February 17, 2011, 09:46:26 PM
A board foot equals 12" x 12" x 1".  This can come in many varities - 2"x6"x12", 1"x4"x36" etc.  You don't really want a board thicker than 1" for pots.  If the board is 1" thick, a true 4" wide board would yield a pot for every 4".  You could get 12 pots out of a 36" long board - assuming no major defects in the board that renders a section unusable.  I think $4/bd ft is a a fair price.  For me the bigger savings would be no waste.  If you are able to buy the size board you want, you wil get close to 100% efficient and your cost of wood per pot will be the lowest.  Because most wood is priced per board foot, getting a better deal on a 1 1/2" thick 7" wide board may sound good, but there is going to be a bunch of wood that you didn't get to use, but that you purchased.  Try to use any scraps for strikers.

Good Luck,
Chris

Wouldn't a board that was 1X4X36 make 9 calls, or am I missing something?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Oops - post corrected. 

lightsoutcalls

Actually, if the board is 36" long, you have to figure the width of the sawblade for those 8 cuts (to make 9  blanks).  Chances are you will be cutting with a power miter saw.  Most blades are 1/8" wide x 8 cuts... you just lost an inch of wood.  Don't forget to figure your waste.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Crutch

If that is the only place between now and in the morning to pic up a peice of quality wood so you can get in the shop and have a blast, then it is a steal imho. Time spent doing something on your on, for a friend or yourself is priceless.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Boomstick

well, picked up the wood and went to the shop over the weekend, but when i started, i didnt get half way through getting the blank rounded out, the belt broke on the lathe, so i guess it just wasnt in the stars for me to try my hand at turning last weekend. but if at first you dont succeed try again rite. ill be back at the woodshop this weekend to give it another go
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

Crutch

It will give you something to look forward to this weekend. I go two pots turned out and put together since last week. I learned a lot but not enough to give one away yet.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Basser69

Quote from: Crutch on February 22, 2011, 10:17:15 PM
It will give you something to look forward to this weekend. I go two pots turned out and put together since last week. I learned a lot but not enough to give one away yet.

Show us some pictures! No claiming to make calls without a little show and tale  :begging: