OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: need help jurkey  (Read 3094 times)

Offline otis

• The Boss Gobbler
need help jurkey
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »
i would like to find a good easy way to make deer jerky

thanks  otis

Offline MarkJM

• The Boss Gobbler
    • YouTube Channel
Re: need help jurkey
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
I good marinade I have been using my whole life is liquid hickory smoke, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, a little bit of soy sauce, a pinch of brown sugar, pepper, tabasco sauce, and crushed red pepper. The base of the marinade is the smoke sauce so put enough in a pan to cover your meat. Dont add the meat to the pan yet.

On the meat, sprinkle all of the seasons and dry rub them into the meat. then add a little bit of olive oil to the meat and place in bags for about 5 hours. then pour your liquid smoke, soy suace, tabasco(if preferred). Put enough liquid smoke and soy sauce in the pan to cover the meat. place meat in the pan and let marinade over night. I dont have a smoker so I just use my oven. Set oven temp* to 190. Let the jerky dry for 4-6 hours. Take it out and enjoy!
MuellerCustomCalls

Offline mommicked

• Wilydog
Re: need help jurkey
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
My fantastic oven method goes like this. Remove all fat and most of the silverskin if using venison.  Marinate the thinish strips or slices of meat, (easier to slice thin when chilled in the freezer to firm it up) marinate In equal parts (soysauce, brn sugar). some liquid smoke to taste, add garlic pdr, onion pdr, pepper, (red pepper or hot sauce if you wish), lemon pepper, etc. Experiment!! if the marinade tastes good to you the jerky will too! Mixit to taste and enough to make the meat wet on top when stired into a tuperware container (add more liquids if needed)  Red wine is good for tenderizing and flavor. Marinade overnight turning tuperware or stirring to mix it several times. There are many recipes online. I take HD alum. foil and pull off 3'+/-,trim one long edge to fit in a cookie sheets width. Then grab the end of the foil w thumbs and fingers and squeeze a 3/4"crease across the foil and pinch in the middle to form a raised fin w the foil. Repeat this every 1" or thumbwidth w the rest of the foil and fit it into the cookie sheet. Drain the marinaded meat and carefully drape it across the fins keeping it suspended on them, don't crowd it to much so air can flow and dry the meat. Let it sit for a while to drain more, and place in 175-190 oven w door cracked open slightly and rotate/ move pans up and down in the oven every hour or so ( I use 4 pans and 2 upper oven racks most of the time) Turn the meat over after it turns dark on top, (3 to 4 hrs.) and continue drying until it gets firm and looks mostly dry( 6-8hrs for 4 pans, 4+/- for 2 pans  ) then try a piece after you let it cool first. If it's dry enough and doesnt taste to raw remove the rest and let cool before bagging or storing. You can add curing agents to be safe ( see online recipes ) If you add oil to the marinade it will be somewhat wet when done. It might not be "Easy" but it is fantastic and you can't keep too     long because you cannot stop eating it!!ENJOY
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:15:39 PM by mommicked »
Learning something new, on every hunt.