OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My review on the savage axis (.243) with pictures  (Read 21154 times)

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
My review on the savage axis (.243) with pictures
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
After having my Savage Axis for a little over a month, I decided I would write a review on it.

The things that made this rifle attractive to me were price and the camo pattern. I also liked that it came with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Sharpshooter scope mounted and laser sighted on the gun.

Along with the scope are the mounts included in the gun... These are not the best mounts, and POI had shifted about an inch high at 100 yards. In the mounts defense, the gun got carried by the scope for a few minutes by my little brother after shooting last time.

This gun is a shooter for sure. The trigger was very crisp, but had a HORRIBLE trigger pull. It put accuracy to 3-4 inches at 100 with cheap federals. I removed one coil from the trigger spring, bringing pull to around 3 pounds, and it shoots a LOT better. Trigger guard is also plenty big enough to allow a gloved finger. 

The safety on the rifle in my opinion is great. It is large and flat, with plenty of grip to easily move it from safe to fire.

The come comes with a 4 round external magazine as well, which clips into the firearm. People have complained about the cheap clip (plastic U shape) but I have had no problems with it.

Before I get into accuracy, let me tell you that I am the WORST shot with a rifle... Over the last few years I've developed a pretty bad flinch, which I've slowly been correcting. I do not own a lead sled, so these shots are all from the bipod.

These are using 100 grain federal soft points at 100 yards

Top left group (subtract the one that is high from the group) is the group when I first fired the gun.

Did I mention that this gun and all of its accessories were under $450?   :grin:

Some more pictures

If you have any questions about the rifle, shoot away.

Nick

Offline LX_Trkyhntr

• Double Beard
Re: My review on the savage axis (.243) with pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
I am hoping to buy a nice .243 for my wife and daughter in the near future.  I have heard the Savage guns were very accurate and reasonably priced.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
I am hoping to buy a nice .243 for my wife and daughter in the near future.  I have heard the Savage guns were very accurate and reasonably priced.

I love my axis, and thanks to cabelas they refunded my money when the rifle went on sale for $330. After I pulled the trigger and before I got back on target I knew where the bullet had landed, even within the bullseye. It is far more accurate than I am as a shooter

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »
A friend of mine just bought one from Wal Mart in 30-06.  I mounted his scope and sighted it in.  I picked it up and thought, what kind of junk did he buy now???  I only shot it at 50 yards with cheap Winchester ammo.  WOW....I got the scope tuned in and WOW again!  That thing cut 2 holes and the third was only out maybe 1/2".  I was surprised and said for $300 (all black), he has a keeper!

Savage has changed!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

The Savage rifles are exceptionally accurate, right out of the box. I think you'll find that they are "in the game" with other rifle makes, regardless of price.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Ol'Mossy

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
I've been shooting Savages for the past 20 years, yes they are very accurate right out of the box.

The only thing I don't like about them is the hard trigger pull. My 270 had an 8lb trigger pull but
I took it to the gunsmith and had it taken down to a 2 1/2 lb trigger pull. I love that rifle and the
other ones I had, including the 243.

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
I've been shooting Savages for the past 20 years, yes they are very accurate right out of the box.

The only thing I don't like about them is the hard trigger pull. My 270 had an 8lb trigger pull but
I took it to the gunsmith and had it taken down to a 2 1/2 lb trigger pull. I love that rifle and the
other ones I had, including the 243.

My trigger was probably a 7 pound trigger.

This gun shoots like I've already said... Before I could get back on target I knew where my bullet had landed.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the info .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:12 PM »
 :icon_thumright:

Offline handcannon

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:22:11 AM »
Savage does make some great shooting, affordable rifles. I've got one in 30-06 that my wife has claimed and taken over. Been a deer killing machine for the last 15 years or so. Looks like you got a good one too.

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:49:23 AM »
wow thanks for the review. i am now very interested in one myself would like to have one in .243

Woodsman4God

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
Yes thanks for the review, I am thinking of getting one in 223 ( if it comes in that chamber) for my son.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
With the accutrigger they now have a solid bolt action rifle.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 06:53:12 AM »
Thanks for  great review! I have been looking at this rifle in .243 without the camo, and this answers several questions.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline new2turkey

• Saco, Maine
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »
 I'm glad this helped.. This gun comes in a .223

Offline HogBiologist

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
My wife got the Axis 7mm-08.  Sweet shooting gun.   Drilled her first deer off hand and took out half the heart.
Certified Wildlife Biologist