News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEF 10ga recoil

Started by woodchip, November 05, 2011, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Quote from: drenalinld on November 08, 2011, 08:23:01 AM
I have that gun and the kick is less brutal than a lot of 12's. It's in the weight of the gun. I also have a NEF 12 ga pardner fitted with a 3-1/2" turkey barrel. When you shoot a 2.25 oz Nitro out of that setup it WILL be a few seconds before you remember where you are at...lol

I can imagine. Factory load shooters dont know what they are missing.....Oh the good times, displaced retinas, loose fillings..memories to cherish I tell ya.   ;D
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

Those Fiocchi's whup just as hard from a 12...but patterns are just not even worth the abuse.

Since we are talking about recoil...I also suggest that you guys try a lead sled  if you dont have one. You can spend hours patterning different shotguns, chokes, shells and make a day of it with buddys and not drag your shooting shoulder around like a dead stick the next day. You can really beat yourself up with the heavy loads. It will help zeroing patterns and help prevent  real medical problems that can come from the recoil. I use just 10-15 lbs of weight and man it makes a  HUGE difference. Makes it better for your kids too if you want to get them shooting a 410 or 20 for the first time without making them gun shy. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

woodchip

I've been considering a lead sled for a while just never jump on it.  I need to go on and get one since they work so well.

gobbler74

For so many years I carried them black and blue bruises after a day of turkey gun patterning..mostly mossberg scars. Thats the folly of youth.

There are many models..I still have the older version. This is one of the newer less expensive models.
http://www.cabelas.com/benches-rests-caldwell-lead-sled-solo-1.shtml

Tip: A 25 lb lead shot bag can run $25 and up ...  but you can save your dough, use an old sewn up sweat pant leg, about 18" will leave enough to sew up one end and trim off the other before tying it up etc  stuff it with $25 worth of those previously lost pennies and you still got your money on the hip.   :icon_thumright:  

jerf

I shoot mine with a syn. handi-stock, and it's still not as bad as my 835.

lowoctane

I used to shoot an American Arms double sxs in 10. Recoil was much friendlier that my pump guns. Course it weighed nearly 12 lbs, which is why I said "used to"! The extra 4-5 lbs of hump weight was not comfortable where we used to hunt as walking to where the birds where was like 1.5 miles one way. Then if we scored, the bird felt like 125 lbs by the time we got back to the truck! Now with the loads that are available for 12's and 20's, I really don't see the need for a 10...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life