OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEF 10ga recoil

Started by woodchip, November 05, 2011, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

I bought some Winchester HV 3.5/2oz/5s for my NEF 10ga I recently purchased and mounted a recoil pad on it.  I shot it for the first time today just to see what the recoil was like.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.  It doesn't seem to kick any harder than my 870 SM with a 3.5, and seems to be less than the 835s I have shot.  LOL, I was disappointed.

Sure be glad when HeviShot gets the MagBlends out.

eight bore

Glad you were disappointed, lot of folks were making the recoil out to be pretty grim.
The 870, 835, comparison pretty much hit the nail on the head.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

woodchip

That video doesn't make it look bad anything with much punch will do that.  I just don't think the recoil is anywhere near what people say it is.  But hey that's just my opinion.  I can't wait to do some patterning.

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: woodchip on November 06, 2011, 05:40:53 PM
That video doesn't make it look bad anything with much punch will do that.  I just don't think the recoil is anywhere near what people say it is.  But hey that's just my opinion.  I can't wait to do some patterning.

It's not bad. Thats my point. I get a kick out of reading peoples posts about how brutal the recoil is.  ::)

LBSS

I hip fire my bps10 sometimes to show friends it not bad.  My 13 yr old brother shoots my bps10.   :smiley-char092:

gobbler74

Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on November 06, 2011, 08:34:58 PM

It's not bad. Thats my point. I get a kick out of reading peoples posts about how brutal the recoil is.  ::)

Well...depending on the shell...which applies to any gun, Try a load of 3 oz lead from Nitro in it. I grew up shooting Mossbergs in pumps and autos till my mid 20's so I have the scar tissue and brain damage in place to handle the lighter kicking 10's.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

BigPeck215

any load between 1.75oz and 2.25oz at std velocities (less than 1300fps) are very mild in recoil, keep in mind that the gun weighs over 9lbs, the most important factor in felt recoil is the weight of the gun.

with a 3.5" 12ga and a 3.5"10ga most factory loads are similiar in payload and velocity except the 12 weight a couple of lbs less so there is more felt recoil.

the recoil from the 3.5" mag blends was brutal out of my 870 but the similar payload and velocity in my 10ga nef was pleasant in comparison more of a push than a punch

Gamblinman

No doubt, my 870SM has much more felt recoil than my SP-10 with Nitro's.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

eight bore

I load 3 oz handloads, and out of the nef i am told its chiropractic !
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

Old Gobbler

I had a 25 count box of nitro 3 ouncers in #5's, and a 12 pack of triplex 3 ouncers ---- the 2.25 and 2.50 ounce nitros out shot the 3 ouncers pattern wise -

now ...the recoil, was no joke - it really is a hard kicker
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

woodchip

I would agree about the Nitros.  I've never shot them but they would have to hurt with that payload.

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: gobbler74 on November 07, 2011, 02:38:27 PM
Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on November 06, 2011, 08:34:58 PM
That video doesn't make it look bad anything with much punch will do that.  I just don't think the recoil is anywhere near what people say it is.  But hey that's just my opinion.  I can't wait to do some patterning.

It's not bad. Thats my point. I get a kick out of reading peoples posts about how brutal the recoil is.  ::)

Well...depending on the shell...which applies to any gun, Try a load of 3 oz lead from Nitro in it. I grew up shooting Mossbergs in pumps and autos till my mid 20's so I have the scar tissue and brain damage in place to handle the lighter kicking 10's.

That load was Win. 2oz. copper plated 6's with the factory tube and recoil pad I believe.
After I put a ported choke in and limbsaver recoil pad on I did shoot the Nitro 3oz.
And yes the recoil is a little more noticeable.  :o

gobbler74

If Fiocchi would make a heavy 10 load I wonder what the recoil would be? I patterned some of the 12  ga 3.5"  2-3/8 oz nickel plated loads a few years back..thats probably the heaviest stomp I've felt from a 12. If they patterned like they kicked, but unfortunately they aren't much for patterns
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

drenalinld

I have that gun and the kick is less brutal than a lot of 12's. It's in the weight of the gun. I also have a NEF 12 ga pardner fitted with a 3-1/2" turkey barrel. When you shoot a 2.25 oz Nitro out of that setup it WILL be a few seconds before you remember where you are at...lol