OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 10 ga mag blends and IC  (Read 24333 times)

Offline BigPeck215

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 10 ga mag blends and IC
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
looks to me like the hole sizes in the mag blend pattern are much larger than the holes in the nitro pattern

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
Agreed, I mentioned there being less pixie dust in the blend shells. I was really impressed. If the shells stay under  or around $30 for 5 they will be a super buy. Last I looked straight 5's were around $24
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 10:28:44 PM »
That is a very favorable pattern - I would like to remind people looking at this for comparative purposes that these are full velocity 10 gauge shells clocking in at 1200+ fps not 1080 fps .Its hard to tell from a picture ,but I do have to admit from looking at the pictures that Jim provided, that the pellet hole(s) size looks greatly increased over the other competitors offerings -

I am impressed , I will make purchase as soon as I can locate a supply

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline woodchip

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »

I am impressed , I will make purchase as soon as I can locate a supply

:icon_thumright:

Offline LBSS

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Maybe we can start actually having 10 ga factory loads that are true 10 ga power level. Like rems lightning. Steel supersonic 1700 fps 1 1/2 oz ouch

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm not a reloader so probly going out on a limb here but I must say that how is it with the bore of the 10 and available hull size that a 2.5 oz factory load isn't available. From what I assume its like the tens are just loaded with 12 ga weights. That's the main reason I shoot htl, if just shooting lead a 12 will pattern just as well. I'm not up for spending the bucks on the 3 oz lead load from nitro. Spending that much I will take the 2.5 oz h210 load of hevi for performance. Those mag blends are a serious alternate. If they finally turn em loose I'm hoarding that stuff like a fat kid with cake.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Offline LBSS

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »
If more people new that 10 didn't have bad recoil it be more popular. Also I reloader told me a
1 7/8 oz lead turkey loads in the 10 ga pattern better than the 2 oz + loads

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
If more people new that 10 didn't have bad recoil it be more popular. Also I reloader told me a
1 7/8 oz lead turkey loads in the 10 ga pattern better than the 2 oz + loads

My bps doesn't kick bad at all..but the trade off is the weight, she's a little wide in the hips..the gold isn't as heavy with the aluminum receiver and the auto action soaks up a bit more recoil too.
Certainly neither is like carrying a 20 or a little win 1300 turkey 12 but they don't have as big a bite either..

Offline LBSS

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
I don't notice the extra 4 lbs of weight anymore.  Its all in the sling.  Plus I see limbsaver has a wide kelly like sling fir around 40$ im looking at buying.  Looks like something new or atleast different  . You got to love them 10s for what they are a big gun with big power and when utilized correctly.  Will bring impressive results.

Id like to see it adopted for tactical use

Offline gobble157

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
Where did you get the hevi-blend 10 ga shells? I have a Browning Gold 10 ga NWTF model and it definitely gets the job done with Nitro Ammo (4x6x7). I get great patterns, but heard that the hevi-blend is just as good. I haven't seen anything about 10ga yet, but once it comes out I'll surely put my hands on a few boxes. I got a 20ga and shoot the hevi-blend out of it and its amazing! My little ones are going to smash a few turkey heads once they are old enough! God bless and happy holidays!
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Gobble,
Those are test loads I got from Environmetal in September. They should be on the shelf in Dec last I heard. Ive shot the same Nitro loads you are referring to and latest was a 6x7. Those are great as well. You should really like the performance from those magblends..I was impressed mainly keeping my thoughts on the sticker price of the 5's. I hope these new ones dont climb up too high in price. If you've shot the gold you know the h210 b's arent cheap. I have a nwtf gold that hasnt been fired yet so I havent checked cycling with the blends but I dont believe we'll have any problems.        
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:10:01 PM by gobbler74 »

Offline LBSS

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 10:36:24 AM »
What type of #s do hevi13 straight 5s out . A h13 #5 is. Hard hitting pellet. Got be like equal to a lead and #2 or #1. I hope to see some straight 6s besides the heviduck load which I will testing hopeful next week depending on ups lol

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
What type of #s do hevi13 straight 5s out . A h13 #5 is. Hard hitting pellet. Got be like equal to a lead and #2 or #1. I hope to see some straight 6s besides the heviduck load which I will testing hopeful next week depending on ups lol
155-165 out of a .685
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline LBSS

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
Heck you can do that with win HV 5s.

Offline gobbler74

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Warbird Turkey Calls
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
Heck you can do that with win HV 5s.
A friend got some EM 5's last year for backups in his 10 in case he ran out of Nitros..I didnt like the patterns but shooting 6's and 7's will spoil you on patterns. The 5's have plenty in the kill zone to do the job. I'd shoot those hevi 5's before lead