turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic Pot Call

Started by Austy, October 05, 2011, 10:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

Any help would be appreciated.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a starting point for the distance between the striking surface and the soundboard for a ceramic 3.5" pot call.  I bought a few pieces of ceramic from Stumpy to start my testing.  I know trial and error but was just looking for a starting point because this stuff is just too expensive to have to try and tear a call apart if it totally sounds like crap right off the bat and ruin a good piece of ceramic.  Thanks for any help

TRKYHTR

There are alot more experienced callmakers on here than me but what I do is 1/8" from soundboard to bottom of ceramic or slightly more. I also make sure the bottom of my pot is .25 thick. This is with my pot design and that will also make a difference. Ceramic needs some mass to vibrate. I've wasted a few pieces of ceramic before I got what I wanted. Hope this helps,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Austy

I was thinking on the same lines as far as needing some distance to resignate with the ceramic being as thick as it is.  That helps, thanks.  At least I have an idea where to start I can make my adjustments from there.  I would hate to waste a piece of this stuff if I can avoid it.  Thanks

pappy

With any pot call distance between the bottom of the striking surface to the top of the sound boards is crucial. I use the "double up" theory, whatever soundboard I use I start with doubling the thickness and laying it on the top of the pedestal. More then likely with ceramic, floor thickness would get you better results then experimenting with the soundboard distance, just use the standard, "double" theory and thin your floor to 3/16" if it is thicker it will create a shrill high pitched caller.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Austy

Thanks for the help Pappy!!!  At least now I have some starting points to work from.

Austy