OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2011 Iowa Double

Started by muddy, October 04, 2011, 10:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddy

It's a little late, but hey, who doesn't like to read about dead birds?

I scouted the farm and had them figured out, long story short I found out a guy and his kid had been pounding it all youth season and Sunday morning all the birds had been bumped from their primary 2 roost areas.  I was pretty bummed but I burned some boot heel and finally located 5 gobblers in 2 groups.

Group 1 had 3 nice gobblers in it.

Group 2 had 2 nice gobblers in it.

Sunday evening I went back out and re-located the birds and watched them all fly to roost, Group 2 in particular I decided to go after because they flew up from the same spot I saw them in that morning.  I got out nice and early and set everything up, right off the bat Group 2 hit the ground and came at me from different directions.  The bigger of the birds saw the set up first, went into the mean walk, and charged BigBoi...

He did the mean walk right up until the Rocket Hammerhead said, "Homie don't play that, SIT!"  And he sat.

The younger bird came in but I couldn't get a shot and as the first one flopped under the decoy he turned and ran, I guess he was scared of anything that could thump his older buddy.

I had birds all around me all morning but it wasn't until about 0830 I got fed up and started to mess with the hens down in the ravine.  10 minutes later a group of hens came out followed by Group 1, the 3 gobblers.  They didn't even hesitate, they charged BigBoi as well.  I got really excited on these guys, they all had ropes for beards.

When they got about 3 feet from BigBoi they must've seen something because they all went on alert and I didn't hesitate to stick one right between the wings.  He went about 15 yards and was done.  He must've been the alpha because both of the other gobblers beat the holy hell out of him for 15 minutes and didn't leave until I was 2 steps out of the blind.  They pecked him, spurred him, strutted on him, etc.  They scratched his head so much they wore a dirt spot around his head.

Recovery was great.  Bird 1 was a really really good bird, spurs and beard posted earlier.  He went around 23 pounds if memory serves me.  Bird 2 was a freaking toad.  He went just over 27 pounds, had an 11 1/4 inch beard, and 1.6 inch hooks.

Bird 2 as he lay.

Both together.

2 true blue Limbhangers in a couple hours.  Hands down the BEST turkey hunt I've ever had and one I won't likely beat for a long time, if ever.

Got home and took some more pictures with the kids.  Everyone was all played out from grandma visiting so they were frumpy looking a little and I was just tired.

Tired?  Gee, I wonder why?  Some people carry 100's of pounds of equipment, I prefer dead animals!

Kylongspur88

awesome pictures what a double!! :icon_thumright:

drenalinld

Great pics! Congrats on a great hunt.

savedbygrace

dirt road ninja

Well played.

What did you do for the rest of the spring?

LX_Trkyhntr

Congrats on the great birds!!  Sounds like a great day for sure! :you_rock: :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

muddy

Quote from: dirt road ninja on October 05, 2011, 10:39:22 AM
Well played.

What did you do for the rest of the spring?

I helped 3 other buddies get their birds.  Will post pics later.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

rempumpman

Just got around to reading this thread but man alive what a couple of great birds; hope you got to mount that second one; you may NEVER see a bigger turkey than that one;
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

archery1

awesome hunt an pics... congrats.. now u gotta wait along time to get out there
Take a kid hunting

jblackburn

Great pics, great story, great hunt, and great shooting!! :z-guntootsmiley:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

beagler

Never Misses

hunter-b

Cooter

-}}}--------->

WyoHunter

Congrats! It doesn't get much better than that!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!