turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Removing playing surface question

Started by Basser69, February 15, 2011, 11:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

How do you remove the playing surface off of a pot call? I have one that has a "rattle" to it. It looks like it was attached with goop. It is a custom pot that I got second hand and would not ask anyone to warranty it. I just figure that I will try and fix it myself. I know that y'all are the go to guys on this one.

Thanks!

eemer

Basser!

First, if it would happen to be one of my calls you got (Vermont Tom-Taker) PM me and we'll make arrangements for me to fix it.    Lifetime warranty, no matter how you got it.

Okay, now here is how I do it.  I break the Friction surface, pry off the pieces, clean up the pedistal, clean up the soundboard, re-glue the soundboard then replace the friction surface.

I have had some success with this method if saving the friction surface is a Must.  I will check what wood type and construction it is and make sure it is Microwave-Safe (Aluminum, Copper or other metals can't be microwaved) and if it is I usually mirowave it on high for 10 to 15 seconds, this is usually enough to "soften" the goop bond and carefully pry around the friction surface with a small straight-blade screwdriver.  Be Very Careful as the edge of the glass/slate/ceramic friction surface will be brittle, so patience is essential.  Also, be very careful, the srufaces will be Hot right out of the microwave.
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!

lightsoutcalls

I generally break the surface as well.  I use an embossing gun (made for scrapbooking... my wife lets me use it) to heat my surfaces to get the pieces out.  This is like a hair dryer with higher heat and lower airflow.  They are available at craft stores for around $20.  This way I can direct the heat to the specific area where I need to soften the glue. 
If it has a rattle, sounds like the soundboard may have come loose from the pedestal. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

savduck

Im not a call maker, but I have fixed a few of my own that started doing that. I used to hunt before work and leave my vest in the truck. Over the years the heat will warp the wood or make the glue start to go bad. If its just the top surface, take a little silicone, a tiny bead and go all the way around the edge of the call. Should fix it right up.
Georgia Boy

Skeeterbait

Try a commercial suction cup puller first.  It just might be enough to overcome the glue and pull the playing surface off.

triune

I use the microwave as well.  Just 10 seconds or so at a time.  If the holes in the bottom of the pot allow, I push the soundboard and calling surface off together through the holes.
Clean up the pot and ready to reglue.
Kenny

RaspyD

If you are trying to save the original surface, this is how i do it.

I use a solvent called M.E.K.  I put some in a small syringe and dispense the solvent around the edge where the adhesive is.  I give it about 5 minutes to get the adhesive soft enough to dig out.  This may take several attempts of applying the solvent to get all the visible adhesive removed between the surface and the edge of the pot.  After this, I put in another dose of the solvent and let it sit for a few minutes and then gently try to pry off the surface.  Move around the pot to get pressure on different points to get the solvent under the surface.  If you are removing a glass surface you can see the solvent get underneath and start to separate the surface from the pot.  Be careful not to apply to much pressure when you try to pry off the surface.  You can crack or break the pot...or so I've heard ;)

My only disclaimer is that I have not tried this on anything but a Corian pot. 
Perfection Turkey Calls

Basser69

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I should have said that it is aluminum over a slate sound board. If I damage the calling surface or the sound board, no big deal. The call rattles now and is not useable anyway. I like the looks and feel of the pot so I would love to salvage it if possible.
Thanks again for all the pointers and help!

Gobblerstopper

I would first try to contact the callmaker.  They may fix it for you for nothing.

If not, try sitting your oven as low as it will go.  I think mine is 170.  Put it in there for about 3-4 minutes or so.  Take it out and push thru the holes in the back of the call.  Like Wendall said, it sounds like the soundboard is loose, so work around all of the holes and the surface should come right out.  Some adhesives are broke down after 3-4 minutes and others take a little more time.

I use a the top of a drill bit unless the holes are big enough then I use a nut driver to push the surface out.  Go around all the holes and you will avoid bending the aluminum and it will still be usable. 

Basser69

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on February 17, 2011, 08:15:56 AM
I would first try to contact the callmaker.  They may fix it for you for nothing.

If not, try sitting your oven as low as it will go.  I think mine is 170.  Put it in there for about 3-4 minutes or so.  Take it out and push thru the holes in the back of the call.  Like Wendall said, it sounds like the soundboard is loose, so work around all of the holes and the surface should come right out.  Some adhesives are broke down after 3-4 minutes and others take a little more time.

I use a the top of a drill bit unless the holes are big enough then I use a nut driver to push the surface out.  Go around all the holes and you will avoid bending the aluminum and it will still be usable. 

Thanks for the tip on the oven. I had never thought about that.

Gobblerstopper

No problem. Dont try it on ceramic though.  After you see how little heat it takes to break down most adhesives, you probably won't want to leave you calls in your truck on a warm spring day. 

Basser69

I tried the oven, it was a no go. I am not sure what it was glued with but geez, after 10 minutes it was still locked down.