turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Archery hunters

Started by waterfowler22, February 15, 2011, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfowler22

This will be my first year archery hunting for turkeys, just curious what broadheads everyone is using for turkey hunting these days and why?

knightrider

slick trick mags, because they flike just like my points have good cutting diameter, and are tough, just remember hit em high they die low they go :anim_25:

ground control

i bought some rocket hammer heads to try. 2" cut mechanicals. whatever you do dont buy the "turkey tearror" fiixed blade. now, i dont say this from experience. but i bought some BEFORE reading the reviews, which were horrible. guys said they bounced off the birds. i would normally be inclined not to believe this, but i read of too many guys having this experience. if ya do read the reviews for them and still want some, i got three with extra blades i'll sell ya! basically a large cut mechanical that flies good out of your bow will do the trick. fixed blades will too, it's just whatever works for you. shoot what ya feel confident with.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

drum817

Quote from: knightrider on February 15, 2011, 11:18:54 PM
slick trick mags, because they flike just like my points have good cutting diameter, and are tough.

Same here....100 grain Slick Trick Mags.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

PANYHunter

I'm gonna be using some Rage 2 blades this year. 

Cove

The Rocket Hammerheads are a great choice as well as any large cutting expandable. I stay away from the heads build for penetration such as the tricks (which I use for deer) because I'm avoiding a pass through. Whatever you choose, I would strongly recommend the adder point that goes behind the broadhead. This will help keep that arrow inside the bird and make it tougher for him to take flight and make an escape. They didnt effect my accuracy at all and are very cheap. I've learned to use these the hard way.

As for the turkey terror broadheads. . . . I'm assuming the 'haters' are all dealing with operator error, I dont use them myself but have watched them work very effectively. Here. . . . have a look for yourself. This was a turkey terror broadhead used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCazOqTQG9o

VAHUNTER

Quote from: drum817 on February 16, 2011, 09:13:26 AM
slick trick mags, because they flike just like my points have good cutting diameter, and are tough.

thats what i will be using this fall
Good things come to those who wait

drum817

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 16, 2011, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: drum817 on February 16, 2011, 09:13:26 AM

thats what i will be using this fall

I also use the Grim Reaper razor tip 1 3/8" cut....It is a MONSTER and is designed for quartering shots too !!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

wisconsinteacher

Magnus Bullheads.  They fly great out of my compound out to 40 and from my recurve as far as I can shoot.  I will be using them again this year.

Kylongspur88

NAP's, good ol' Muzzy's will do a number on goblers too.

headbanger

wf22
out of my traditional equipment I will be using Simmons treesharks w/a 2 1/2 cut most likely. May also go with a Magnus I .

headbanger

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Fox Fire

Good subject, hhmmm, interest'n stuff.

Muskie03

Rage 2 blade. they really mess them up good. Little tip not mentioned yet, drop your poundage. I shot 64lbs last spring but I'm thinking about going down to 60 this year. It'll help keep the arrow in the bird.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

clarksvalley

another vote for the grimm reapers 1 3/8 cut razor tip its awsome for birds and bucks.