OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Devotion, Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Started by Duke0002, September 13, 2011, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then,  and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery" (Galatians 5:1).

We read in the book of Philemon that a man named Onesimus was a runaway slave who apparently had stolen something from his master, Philemon.  Then he met the imprisoned St. Paul and came to faith in Jesus.  For a while, he served St. Paul.  But at Paul's urging, Onesimus agreed to go back  to his master, even though under Roman law he could be put to death.  St. Paul also requested that Philemon take back Onesimus, not as a runaway slave, but as a brother in Christ.

You and I were slaves -slaves to sin.  We deserve death at the hands of God.  But Jesus died for us on the cross, and now He is our new Master.  We ask Him for mercy, and He gladly gives it.  No longer does He call us servants, but friends.  He has set us free from the law of sin and death. 

With the love of Christ inside us, we are empowered to extend the Lord's love and friendship to our neighbors -even to those we don't think deserve it. 

I'm sure it was a difficult thing for Philemon to forgive Onesimus for the embarrassment, disrespect,  and financial loss he caused.  But you and I have caused far more embarrassment, disrespect, and financial loss to God than Onesimus did to Philemon.  However, we have been forgiven and welcomed by God through Jesus Christ.

Enjoy your freedom in Christ, friends.  Extend your freedom in Christ to others today.  Remove their yoke of slavery with the Good News of their salvation.

-Dale