OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grain orientation for various type calls?

Started by The Cohutta Strutter, August 26, 2011, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

Just curious about how some of you call makers like to see the grain run on various calls. I would think with box calls (box and paddle) that it should run the full length of the call and the tighter the grain the better.  Would think this same principle would apply to strikers and trumpets, fairly straight grain. With tube calls I can see the grain could run about any which way. What about pot calls? I see some of the pot calls offered come from blanks that were quartersawn while others appear to be plain sawed. What are the main advantages to quarter sawn blanks for pot calls? Is it mainly better looking wood ? Does it somehow enhance the sound quality? In closing, I've asked these questions in order to gain more insight on how to saw blanks for turkey calls because it may be something I may try. I would hate to see this post turn into "my way is better than yours" type post between makers and quite frankly I don't think it will because you all are top notch and open minded folks and we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat to get to the final result. :icon_thumright: The Cohutta Strutter...
Anybody seen America lately?

WillowRidgeCalls

Box calls, scratch boxes, and strikers, are really the only ones that the grain makes a difference in IMO. The other calls mostly are just a housing or sound chamber for the call. Boxes you want the grain horizontal for the box and vertical for the lid or as close as you can get. The same for the playing surfaces on a scratch box. A striker you want the grain to run the full length, mostly because it's a lot easier to turn that way and a lot stronger, cross grain is a pain to turn.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

The Cohutta Strutter

TarheelTurk

I dont make box calls, recently started pot calls this past spring. idk if it makes a huge differnce but some have suggested sanding glass w/ the grain then runnning the striker across it to get the best sound on pot calls. Tried both and i really had seen a tremendous change in the sound. Probaly not alot of help but it could be worth a try to see if makes a diffrence in your opinion
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

The Cohutta Strutter

savagecaller

IMO I think Scotts right on. I've made hundreds of small scratchers and learned   early on how important grain orientation was for them, but when I started making big boxes I didn't think it mattered, till I made a beautifully grained cedar lid that wouldn't play on any box I had or made. Then one day after work, I stopped by a buddy's shop and found a butternut box in the scrap pile that looked rough like it was cut different on the grain. Needless to say I now have a butternut cedar box in my vest for personal use...                             Thanks for the post, I'm learning alot from this forum

Savagecaller