OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sawing logs on the bandsaw?

Started by The Cohutta Strutter, August 26, 2011, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

Anyone here do it? If so, do you do it with the aid of a sled or some other type holding jig? I can see where a sled would work well for plain or through sawing but is it possible to quartersaw a log on a bandsaw? In reference to quartersawing on the bandsaw I can see where it would take a pretty substantial diameter log to be able to quarter saw up a wide enough board to make blanks for say a pot call and that just may not be practical. I'm speaking of bandsaws in the 14" to 18" range. The Cohutta Strutter.

Anybody seen America lately?

Ferguson

David Ferguson
Eminence, MO
573 226 5939

The Cohutta Strutter

Yeah, now that's what I'm  talking about! Definitely would be the route go,  if I only had the room. I can smell that cedar from here. Is that wood buddy brand or just the model name? Thanks.

I've sawn a few on a Jet 14" w/ riser kit.  It works but it isn't ideal.  Most smaller band saws can do this just fine as long as you aren't sawing logs all day every day.  I don't use a sled or a holder.  I tried making one and it didn't work that well and I'm too tight to buy a nice one  ;D.  If you can split the log with a wedge first to create a somewhat flat surface, you can square it on the bandsaw and then begin to saw 1" thick or thicker boards.  I usually try to saw 1 1/4" boards, because my cuts aren't perfect and there will be some warping, twisting as the wood dries.  Give this post a littel while longer, others with tons more experience will hopefully chime in. 

Good Luck,

Chris

The Cohutta Strutter

Ferguson

Yeah I just couldnt resist being a smartelic. It's a Baker brand wood buddy model. Made in the next town over at Ellington. They're pretty good for small logs and if you're in no big hurry to build a house.

I've use a 14" to square up posts then use the table saw to square it on up. It'll work as long as you don't try to work to big of stuff. Now as you can tell I don't use the 14" saw anymore. But on the other hand square'n up
old fence posts they are the berries. I will use it again when I use up my materials from old posts. I'm cutting these logs into 2"X 2" to dry for use in the future.

David
:boon:
David Ferguson
Eminence, MO
573 226 5939

The Cohutta Strutter

David that is a nice set up and it has to be a blast to do. I guess you could compare trees to a box of chocolate, you never know what your going to get until you open one up. Thanks. The Cohutta "Gump" Strutter.....lol