OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys

Started by longbeard95, August 16, 2011, 08:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard95

I was just wondering what decoys and how many I will need to harvest a fall tom. As of right now all I have is a jake and 2 hen decoys but will buy more if needed.

Also what type  of calls work best for the kee kee? Im on a tight budget right now so I cant go out and buy the best one but which one can I get that is affordable and will still get the job done?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Tyler

fallhnt

If you want to hunt fall gobblers use your jake decoy.A double reed mouth call will kee kee run.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

longbeard95

How many decoys should I put out?

Another thing I forgot to ask is what is the diffrence between the yelp of a tom and a hen? Might be a dumb question but I honestly dont know.

870BkWht

longbeard,  a gobbler yelp and a hen yelp is different in 2 signifigant ways.  First the cadence and number of notes in the yelp from a gobbler is noticeably shorter and a lot more coarse and deep.  Ex. Yelp... Yelp.. Yelp..  where a hen would be more something like Yelp Yelp Yelp Yelp Yelp Yelp.  You get the picture. 

As for the decoys, I personally have never hunted fall birds with a deke.  I live and hunt in WV and we have an either sex season so I cant answer that question for you.  I usually try and glass fields that the toms frequent and attempt to put together a pattern and then hunt them based on that pattern.

Hope this helps.

longbeard95

870 that helped a lot!
Thank you guys

fallhnt

I've made my own flocks before but anymore I use 1 or 2 decoys.

longbeard95

Quote from: fallhnt on August 18, 2011, 01:25:09 PM
I've made my own flocks before but anymore I use 1 or 2 decoys.
When you use 2 decoys are they both jake decoys or a hen and a jake or 2 hens? These may be dumb questions but im totaly new to turkey hunting so I dont know much.

timbrhuntr

I haven't used decoys in the fall but try too pattern like 870BkWht said. Last year I broke up a group of hens and young turkeys while going into my deer stand. I listened to the sounds the lost birds made while trying to re-group. After they left I was trying to imitate some of the sounds (no calls) with my mouth. To my suprise I called the boss hen back to me and most of the flock. 

fallhnt

I use a hen the most but if you know you are going to hunt males then use male decoys.In fall you call bird to bird and decoy bird to bird.The best way to learn is to get in the woods.A lot of people tell you to find them and flush them in fall.I learned that I didn't kill any turkeys when I did that.Now I decoy them and call them.Last fall I killed 10 with my bow and 3 with a gun.

870BkWht

Quote from: fallhnt on August 19, 2011, 01:09:07 PM
I use a hen the most but if you know you are going to hunt males then use male decoys.In fall you call bird to bird and decoy bird to bird.The best way to learn is to get in the woods.A lot of people tell you to find them and flush them in fall.I learned that I didn't kill any turkeys when I did that.Now I decoy them and call them.Last fall I killed 10 with my bow and 3 with a gun.

13 turkeys?  Is this a typo?  What state are you hunting?

fallhnt

No type-o,just hard hunting.FALL=4 NE.,4 KS.,2IL. with bow.1 IL.2 MO.gun.SPRING=3 NE. 2 KS.,1 IL.,bow.So 2010 was 16 bow kills & 3 gun kills.I like turkey hunting.I have the same spring totals for 2011 and  leave for  MO. Sept .15 to start my fall season.

longbeard95

Hey guys thanks for all of the help!
Tyler

870BkWht

Quote from: fallhnt on August 22, 2011, 01:45:47 PM
No type-o,just hard hunting.FALL=4 NE.,4 KS.,2IL. with bow.1 IL.2 MO.gun.SPRING=3 NE. 2 KS.,1 IL.,bow.So 2010 was 16 bow kills & 3 gun kills.I like turkey hunting.I have the same spring totals for 2011 and  leave for  MO. Sept .15 to start my fall season.

You are the man.  I wish I had the time off work available to hunt as many states as you did last season.  Best of luck on your upcoming fall.