OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Bird (story added)

Started by longbeard95, August 11, 2011, 08:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard95

Hey guys im new here and just wanted to start off with sharing a pic of my first turkey. I just started turkey hunting this year and now im hooked!
22 pounds
10 inch beard
7/8 inch spurs

Hey guys sorry it took me so long to get back here with the story but here it goes.

So it was opening day of the youth season in WI. My dads cousin was mentoring me and basicly teaching me everything I needed to know to get into this great sport. Well our first stand we had 5 diffrent gobblers that just would not come in so we decided to sneak out and head to a diffrent spot for a little while.

Well we got to the new spot and bumpbed 3 toms off the field but decided to give it a try anyways. Well at about 10 we could hear those 3 toms starting to work our way. They got to within 50 yards and just hung up for some unknown reason. I decided to try the shot and I misssed!!! After walking to the spot where they hung up we found that they didnt want to cross a tiny creek that was maybe 3 feet wide.

So then we decided to go try some public land that we had been seeing birds at every now in then while scouting. Well on our way in we herd one sound off maybe 100 yards ahead of us so we closed the disstance to about 70 yards and made a couple yelps and he went completely quiet. At this point I started to get a little worried that he had left the field he was in and was going away. But just then I caught a glimpse of movement about 10 yards to my right. There he was in full strutt but he started heading away from me. I turned slightly so that I was aiming 10 yards infront of him (thats all the room I had to move otherwise he wouldve busted me for sure) and just waited for him to walk into my sights. BOOM!! I made a clean 20 yard shot.

Taking that first bird was just an amazing thing. I am now currently trying to get my dad his first bird. Thanks for reading!
Tyler

drenalinld

Great bird!  :you_rock: :you_rock:
Welcome to OG.

Ol'Mossy

Very nice gobbler for your first  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

turkey slayer

Thats a dandy for a 1st congrats,  :welcomeOG:

new2turkey

Congrats! Welcome to Old Gobbler.

CallMaker

I know this is late coming , but congrats on a nice bird !
Steven

BigJim

MCase

JoeS5

Frank_T

Congrats  :icon_thumright: Nice bird

Grant Flaming

:welcomeOG:

Congrats on your first bird! We have the picture but now we need the story to go with it! Also, what state are you in?

-Grant

Big Ugly

:wave: nice bird.  What's the story?  :OGani:

contagious

That's a fine bird,great job.!!