OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

...Thread wrapping wingbone calls...

Started by NCBigShot, August 09, 2011, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCBigShot

...I'd like to try doing this myself... Can any of you offer any "beginner tips" on what it takes to do this?... Is there special equipment that I need to purchase?..Like tools that fly tiers use?... What about supplies and applying a finish? Any suggestions regarding technique would be welcome too.
Thanks bros! ;)
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

lumberjack

My suggestion would be to look at rod wrapping supplies and techniques.  Most of the stuff will likely not apply but you should be able to get an idea of how to start and end a wrap and other tips.  I also use rod wrapping thread to wrap my wingbones, and it seems to work well.  however, I haven't tried anything else, its what I had so I used it.  The good thing is, rod wrapping thread is available in alot of colors. I did not purchase any specific equipment, I made a thread holder myself.  I have not settled on a finishing method so I am eager to see other replies to this post, I have used fingernail polish but would like something a bit thicker. I think rod wrapping epoxy would work well but I have yet to try it, fingernail polish is much simpler.  GOOD LUCK!

redarrow

I did a google search awhile back and found how to do it but I forgot to mark it.

ncturkey

Pm me your phone number and I will walk you through it.