OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 887?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
Remington 887?
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
Anyone shooting the 887?  Any performance difference from the 870?

Offline rempumpman

Re: Remington 887?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I have hunted/shot remingtons for over 38 plus years now and by no means am I an expert at anything (well my wife of 32 years saids that I am an expert at running my mouth) but the 887 was remingtons way, IMO, to try to keep up with the sales of the benelli nova pump; I would not put the 887 in the same class of an 870; made cheap to compete BUT PLEASE REMEMBER, that is my own personal opinion; there may be some here that swear by them and if so, then that is great for them;

I am a true fan of the real 870 wingmaster especially those that were made in the 70's and 80's; I am also a true fan of the 1100 rems and the 1187's; do not allow my personal opinion stand in the way of you buying what you want, just ask a gunsmith that really knows guns and get their opinion; hope you well whatever you decide.........rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
I own several Remington shotguns and rifles auto's and pump's and IMO the 870 is one of the best pumps ever made. But the 887 isn't one of them. I have only had dealings with 2 of the 887's and both had very rough slides but the worst thing IMO was POA and POI was way off, like a foot low at 30 yards. I know the rough slide would eventually smooth out and you could use some kinda optics for the POA and POI thing but I like for a new gun to work right and shoot where I aim. Again this is just MHO.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
I shoot mostly Remington guns whether it's their shotguns or rifles, but I recommend to stay away from the 887.  This gun by no means can be compared to the 870.  The only thing similar to the 870 is the fact it is a pump and that is about it. The 870 is a work horse and the 887 is basically a dead horse.  So if you were going to choose between an 870 or an 887, without a shadow of a doubt get the 870.   

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
I have no clue about Remington's rationale for manufacturing and marketting the 887 pump, since they already produce the most successful pump shotgun ever made in the venerable 870.  With that said, the quality of the "new" 870 Express models is a far cry from that of the "original" model 870's in both the machining, mechanics and cosmetics.  But back to the 887, it's a piece of junk not worthy of the Remington label.  Last year, a friend, who is an internationally recognized expert in all things shotgunning, was approached by a leading shooting publication to evaluate and review the 887.  After he reluctantly accepted the assignment, he was shipped an 887 from Remington to test.  He called me upon receipt of the shotgun and I met w/ him to assist in the evaluation.  The "sample" gun which he was told was "pulled off the line" wouldn't properly cycle, was extremely rough, and at 40 yards patterned 18" low and 12" right.  The "test" gun was returned to Remington and replaced with another 887.  According to my friend, the second 887 was inferior to the first gun, and he returned it and cancelled the evaluation.  I have yet to hear anything positive about the 887 and IMO there are too many proven slide actions to waste time, and money on this shotgun.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:47:07 PM by decoykrvr »

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
If they actually made the 887 themselves it might be a whole different story.  On another Remington note, the new Versa Max which is manufactured in their plant is a very nice gun.  But the question was regarding the 887 compared to the 870, so sorry for going off course.

Offline OLE RASPY

• Paintbrush Beard
  • KENTUCKY
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
I bought a 887 last year and had issues with it.Its nothing like the 870.870 is a proven gun and i have 2 870's.887 i had shot 12 inches low at 40 so i sent it back to remington and they said they would fix it.Well they sent the gun back saying that they shot it and its good now.Well i shot it again and they did nothing to it.Still shot 12 inches low.I called remington and told them about it and told them what i thought, i wont say on here. ;D Anyway i took a stabbing on that gun.I traded it for a 935 mossberg anf he only allowed me 350 for the 887 which i gave 610 for it.Love the mossberg.My opinion 887 is a piece of junk built cheap.Needless to say i will never buy another remington again because of the way they did me.

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. My brother was about to buy one. I'll have to fill him in on these replies.