turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Many Moons Ago

Started by Neill_Prater, April 18, 2024, 09:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

According to a handy dandy perpetual calendar courtesy of the Internet and my hopefully correct recollection of Missouri's formula for opening day back then, by my calculations, I first went turkey hunting 47 years ago today.

Many times I have questioned whether that was a blessing or a curse. After 7 days in Alabama with only one close encounter and no trigger pulling and little action here in Missouri, I was leaning towards the curse way of thinking.

Then, this morning, with little confidence in anything happening after misjudging the distance of a roosted gobbler and realizing he was across the road from where I could hunt, and trudging back up the hill to my original vantage point a quarter mile away, a squirrel barked, a turkey gobbled, and in less than 10 minutes I had called in two longbeards and dropped the hammer on one with a 10 inch heavy beard, I remembered why I was still doing this 47 years later.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Yoder409

So, you started about a year before me.   :icon_thumright:

If, by chance, a guy loses sight of why he lives 11 months of the year to do this for 1 month of the year......... ONE GOBBLE will usually slap his arse RIGHT back on track.

Yep.

CONGRATS on your bird !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

merriamsman

Great story and sums up why we keep going when things are slow - because it can all turn around in a heartbeat. But you'll never get the chance if you aren't out there trying.

Tail Feathers

Happy Anniversary!
I wish I had discovered turkey hunting 10 or 15 years earlier.  I still wouldn't have 47 years at it tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Howie g

Around my 42nd spring here .
As I walked the mile or so back to my truck this am without even thinking
I " might " have heard one gobble I questioned my sanity.....
Good lord willing ? I'll question it again tomorrow am ...