turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

condition bead blasted glass ?

Started by stone road turkey calls, July 18, 2011, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stone road turkey calls

What is the correct way to condition/recondition bead blasted glass?
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Longbeardfever4ever

I like to use drywall sanding screen. Or 150 grit sandpaper
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

lightsoutcalls

Hopefully you won't have to recondition blasted glass for quite a while.  When I have had to, I use 120 grit or 100 grit stiff backed sanding cloth.  Be sure to run your sandpaper only one direction, for example left to right, not left/right/left/right.  Lift the sandpaper off the glass between strokes, it does make a difference.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

gobbler74

Quote from: Longbeardfever4ever on July 18, 2011, 10:08:06 PM
I like to use drywall sanding screen. Or 150 grit sandpaper
:icon_thumright:
helps knock off the rough gravel like surface
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

lightsoutcalls

I'm not trying to stir anything, but why would you buy bead blasted glass and pay extra for it if you didn't like the texture of the surface.  Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, just curious about the reasoning...    ?

gobbler74

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on July 19, 2011, 02:05:08 PM
I'm not trying to stir anything, but why would you buy bead blasted glass and pay extra for it if you didn't like the texture of the surface.  Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, just curious about the reasoning...    ?
Maybe he wants something closer to etched surface (not quite as rough) without having to fool with the etching cream..rotten eggses it is!  ;)
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

stone road turkey calls

Thanks guys for your responce, i just have never used this glass on a call and was curious how it was maintained. don't want to sell a call to someone and not be able to tell them how to take care of it. no offense taken always open for criticism.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

lightsoutcalls

Sorry if what I said came across as criticism.  Eventually the bead blasted surface will wear down, and it is good forethought to be able to tell customers how to take care of it.  I'm still using a bead blasted call I made without using sandpaper on it after 2-3 years.  I have seen some get slick from use. 
I have used the bead blasted glass almost exclusively, but have done some with slick glass.  The slick glass costs less, so I was just curious why a person would pay more if they were going to "rough it up" BEFORE using it.  Again, sorry if my wording was not clear. 

As for the etching cream... I only used it a couple of times... with good reason.  If you can get good results with it, more power to you.  I couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do so I gave up on it.

packmule

Quote from lightsoutcalls

"Be sure to run your sandpaper only one direction, for example left to right, not left/right/left/right.  Lift the sandpaper off the glass between strokes, it does make a difference."

This is a great tip. . . . I've always done left/right/left/right. . . .I tried your tip last night and it does make a difference.  BIG THANKS!

lightsoutcalls

I don't honestly remember who on OG suggested that awhile back, but I had always gone back and forth on the surface as well.  I only recently began doing the single direction conditioning myself.  I wish I knew who to give the credit to, but I'm glad they mentioned it.

West Augusta

I conditioned half of a bead blasted glass call and left the other half blasted.  Now I have two sounds from the same pot. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.