OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 21” Barrel

Started by NightHawk24, April 17, 2024, 05:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightHawk24

Was planning on picking up a new production 870 20GA Fieldmaster. Had my eyes on the compact 21" barrel model with plans on getting it dipped and fully customizing it as a full time turkey gun. Just wondering what everyone's experience with the newer 870's is, and what choke or loads your guys' liked. Appreciate all info and good luck to everyone the rest of this spring!

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: NightHawk24 on April 17, 2024, 05:53:47 PM
Was planning on picking up a new production 870 20GA Fieldmaster. Had my eyes on the compact 21" barrel model with plans on getting it dipped and fully customizing it as a full time turkey gun. Just wondering what everyone's experience with the newer 870's is, and what choke or loads your guys' liked. Appreciate all info and good luck to everyone the rest of this spring!

I don't know what their current "runs" are.  But I have one from 2015 time frame and its been trouble-free. I polished the barrel, had the receiver drilled and tapped and run an optic up top.  Check my post history, it throws great patterns from 15-35 yards and I would not hesitate to shoot past that although I try not too.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

SwampRooster17

If you're gonna shoot tss I'd grab the RTSF in the classifieds and give it a shot. I had awesome results with that choke and apex 9s. I'm shooting an older 20ga 870 21" barrel not the newer fieldmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trkmaster88

Here is my compact Fieldmaster. Shooting Apex 9's with Tightwad choke. Gorgeous hunting pattern at 40 but not crazy tight closer. I'm sure it could go much tighter as well if needed.

NightHawk24

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on April 17, 2024, 07:57:23 PM
Here is my compact Fieldmaster. Shooting Apex 9's with Tightwad choke. Gorgeous hunting pattern at 40 but not crazy tight closer. I'm sure it could go much tighter as well if needed.

That's a sweet looking setup! Have had the Tightwad in a Mossberg 20GA before. Had the same experience with it. Nice even pattern which was perfect for me. Hard to beat that choke for the price.

yelpy

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on April 17, 2024, 07:57:23 PMHere is my compact Fieldmaster. Shooting Apex 9's with Tightwad choke. Gorgeous hunting pattern at 40 but not crazy tight closer. I'm sure it could go much tighter as well if needed.

Can you tell me what stock that is?

tnanh

I have one of the field masters. I have been pleased with it so far. With the hevi 13 choke in it it does about 125 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with h-13 7s. Both my 20 gauges like the rsft choke. The weird thing is that choke has always liked hevi 13 6s better than the 7s. I have not shot tss in any of my guns. I have enough hevi 13 6s and 7s to last me a long time.

briton

I bought a youth model new 2 years ago (21 in) barrel and put a spare shurshot stock on it w Lucy adapter, got a primos tw choke, it came drilled and tapped but I just put a set of Williams firesights on it,dipped stocks in greenleaf, and shot apex greenleaf blend. It's a compact hammer and great to tote. Puts around 400 in a 10inch. No problems other than it will kick a bruise on my cheekbone but I can live with that.