turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Something Unusual And Interesting Gobblers

Started by Greg Massey, April 17, 2024, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

This past weekend i saw 3 longbeards running together and ignoring the hens.  I saw these 3 longbeards running together back in early November and this past weekend they were still together..

But i can tell the flocks are busted up to a certain point.. I've seen several hens ones / two's pretty much the last couple weeks just mingling and feeding.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual with the gobblers this year?   I do know they have been less vocal and after flying down it's been pretty much a hush mouth.

Our season has been pushed back 15 days into April and everything is already green up.

We have also had to deal with some pretty cool / cold weather and fronts ...

Tom007

Yes Greg, so far scouting they have been vocal on roost, quiet after fly down. Of course I am not calling to any of them, we start on Monday. I think they have some ladies waiting for them when they land.......
"Solo hunter"

Sixes

Sounds like you have a real dominant gobbler around somewhere keeping the flock in check

Tom007

Quote from: Sixes on April 17, 2024, 06:16:13 PM
Sounds like you have a real dominant gobbler around somewhere keeping the flock in check

Yea, he's gonna be a tough one to get..... :fud: :OGani:
"Solo hunter"

Happy

You haven't asked the important question on this day and age. What do said "gobblers" identify as?

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WV Flopper

In my tiny part of WV this is typical of human behavior. Most of these people have transplanted themselves from Northern Virginia, Maryland and DC.

Have you received any turkey transplants from these areas? Only a couple can infect the whole flock!

Cowboy

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2024, 05:16:30 PM
This past weekend i saw 3 longbeards running together and ignoring the hens.  I saw these 3 longbeards running together back in early November and this past weekend they were still together..

But i can tell the flocks are busted up to a certain point.. I've seen several hens ones / two's pretty much the last couple weeks just mingling and feeding.

Has anyone else noticed anything unusual with the gobblers this year?   I do know they have been less vocal and after flying down it's been pretty much a hush mouth.

Our season has been pushed back 15 days into April and everything is already green up.

We have also had to deal with some pretty cool / cold weather and fronts ...
Early part of this week, spent 3 days hunting this same situation.  3 gobblers hanging out. I called a hen away from the roost from them. They didn't care less about her leaving or me calling!! This is on a private farm we hunt and I also have permission on 2 adjoining pieces. S pressure is minimal.  Odd behavior for sure. They prefer their company it seems....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

We didn't see as many turkeys before the season opened and on opening weekend.  I told someone they were there, we just weren't seeing or hearing them.  I blame that on the continuous high winds we've had this year.  Fishermen have complained they can't get a day to go out due to winds being so high everyday.  Within the past 2-3 days the winds have died down and fields are full of turkeys again.  Our turkeys are the same as always vocally. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

rifleman

WVFlopper,  That is all too obvious here in my part of WV after being invaded by the same people from the same areas!      Hunted a farm near me the last few days and as has been said early gobbling and nothing else.  Four were strung out maybe two to three hundred yds apart.  After full light they went silent and maybe 45 mins or so later I see 4 or 5 walking along like monks.  No hens, maybe later they'll respond.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on April 17, 2024, 06:34:27 PM
You haven't asked the important question on this day and age. What do said "gobblers" identify as?

LMBO ... Happy while thinking about it, they do share the same bathroom and wood locker room as the hens .... :TooFunny:

RutnNStrutn

Last spring here at my place, there were three 2 year olds that ran together. Perhaps they were brothers? Anyway, they stayed together throughout spring, summer and fall, joined on a regular basis by a nice double beard.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

I called up 3 longbeards with no hens on Saturday and they came in calking.  Can't speak for the other two, but the one that went home with me appeared older than 2. 

Paulmyr

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 18, 2024, 10:20:05 AM

LMBO ... Happy while thinking about it, they do share the same bathroom and wood locker room as the hens .... :TooFunny:

So.....you're thinking it's a decoys issue? Maybe try just a Jake instead of a hen? :funnyturkey:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 18, 2024, 05:45:15 PM

So.....you're thinking it's a decoys issue? Maybe try just a Jake instead of a hen? :funnyturkey:

May need to break out the secret weapon - Funky Chicken with a black tie around it's neck... :TooFunny:

Paulmyr

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 18, 2024, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 18, 2024, 05:45:15 PM

May need to break out the secret weapon - Funky Chicken with a black tie around it's neck... :TooFunny:

What the heck!!! Just throw em all out there and let's have a PAR-TAY!!!!!   :jackson:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.