OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker suggestions

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 17, 2024, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I am looking for some suggestions on new strikers. I NEED a carbon all weather striker and was going to get one from JLH but after reaching out he is done making them for the year. I also want a couple of other nicer strikers than what came with my calls.

Calls are Crystal Mistress, Sneed Hot Hen, Sneed Outlaw Hen.

Currently using the Diamondwood Holloran 2 piece on the CM, the Holloran 2 piece Hickory on the Sneed slate and  what I am guessing is purple heart 2 piece on the Outlaw Hen. All of them sound okay enough, but I am looking to mix it up and hoping to find some better strikers to pair with these calls and I am open to suggestions. I am not looking to spend $100 a striker, but I don't mind opening my wallet a bit for some upgrades.

I am thinking one piece strikers would be ideal, but if my thinking is wrong there please correct me.  If I am best off just going to Hollorans sight and ordering a few one piece plus his all weather striker let me know.

3 sided dice
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tnandy

Might reach out to Mike Yingling, he makes a great carbon striker for his copper pots. Neal Herman makes a really good striker as well. I am sure there is a pile more of guys to check with

ColemantownHC

I personally like Halloran's strikers that come with his calls. But, my go to striker that just seems to work on anything i put it on is a JLH Bullfrog. When trying to find a good striker for a specific call, i like to start with a purpleheart, hickory or dymondwood. Most every time, one of those 3 will be the one for me. Then you need to decide on whether you want a round tip or flared tip. Don't get too hung up on "custom" strikers. I've had several custom strikers that just do not sound good on the pots I tried them on, and I've had several production strikers that came bundled with a call which were phenomenal. My favorite striker for years was a Primos cuttin' striker. I also liked the old quaker boy strikers.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: ColemantownHC on April 17, 2024, 03:55:09 PM
I personally like Halloran's strikers that come with his calls. But, my go to striker that just seems to work on anything i put it on is a JLH Bullfrog. When trying to find a good striker for a specific call, i like to start with a purpleheart, hickory or dymondwood. Most every time, one of those 3 will be the one for me. Then you need to decide on whether you want a round tip or flared tip. Don't get too hung up on "custom" strikers. I've had several custom strikers that just do not sound good on the pots I tried them on, and I've had several production strikers that came bundled with a call which were phenomenal. My favorite striker for years was a Primos cuttin' striker. I also liked the old quaker boy strikers.

I appreciate the input. I'm definitely wanting to try a few things. Maybe I'm best off getting a few options from Holloran and trying to get one from JLH when he's done for the season.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

turkey stew

Check out Fowlers strikers. He turns 1 piece and 2 piece strikers like his dad. Priced from 15.00 on up depending on rarity of wood. 25.00 to 30.00 on his carbon tip strikers. He makes very good sticks! He has a large inventory.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: turkey stew on April 17, 2024, 05:13:43 PM
Check out Fowlers strikers. He turns 1 piece and 2 piece strikers like his dad. Priced from 15.00 on up depending on rarity of wood. 25.00 to 30.00 on his carbon tip strikers. He makes very good sticks! He has a large inventory.

Funny you say that, on his site now and have a persimmon in the cart. Gonna add a couple more.

hpo

There are undoubtedly some great strikers out there. One I have used, and I just found a similar one-if not the same, is a Tylersburg Yelper Plexiglass striker. It's plexi so will run in the wet weather and IMO, runs extremely well wet or dry. It's one of my go-to strikers.

$14 on the bay right now.
Shoot'em in the Face!

turkey stew

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 17, 2024, 05:46:37 PM

Funny you say that, on his site now and have a persimmon in the cart. Gonna add a couple more.
You will like them. Really good 2 piece snakewood and he has frogwood. I see you were looking for one of Jeff's.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: turkey stew on April 17, 2024, 07:41:15 PM

You will like them. Really good 2 piece snakewood and he has frogwood. I see you were looking for one of Jeff's.
Yes, ordered one of them as well. I like that they aren't dramatically flared. I haven't tried one in years but I remember not liking it as much.

turkey stew

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 17, 2024, 07:44:32 PM
Quote from: turkey stew on April 17, 2024, 07:41:15 PM

Yes, ordered one of them as well. I like that they aren't dramatically flared. I haven't tried one in years but I remember not liking it as much.
The 2 piece snakewood with osage top and the black locust run well and one people never mention is leadwood. I really like that one.

Sir-diealot

Halloran's Ipe on slate is fantastic, as well as a good black locust or hickory.

One of the members here keyed me into using a Dymondwood striker with the Sneed with green glass, can't remember the name and am in to much pain to get up and look.

Love my Stuckey Tulipwood on crystal of any kind as well as Halloran's purple heart.

Jeff's Frogwood and Neal's Dymondwoon work well on the second two as well.

Mike Yingling and John Sinclair for a carbon striker.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RiverBuck

John Sinclair makes a good carbon. Get a purpleheart for those pots.. from anyone.

hawkeye1958

David Halloran's one piece Ipe took my Crystal Mistress to a new level.

Wigsplitter

I have those same calls - dymondwood for either - more specific is the purple heart that comes with the outlaw hen is a great match- also a Mac ebony on the crystal mistress that used to come with the call is spot on - I'd recommend a stuckey or jlh Mac ebony or a tulipwood

Greg Massey

One of the best strikers you could ever buy is a persimmon snakewood from Clay Townsend... You are in the prime time turkey season for most of these builders, but in the future get with Clay and get one of these strikers and you can thank me later.... It will play on anything...

Now for clucking and purring and light soft calling / tree talking on a pot i like a small tip striker... This is just my preference

But i do use a variety of striker tip shapes...