turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Prudhomme Tube Call Works!

Started by merriamsman, April 14, 2024, 11:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merriamsman

Thought this might be entertaining to some of you. I recently had surgery on my foot for a torn tendon, and am still recovering so I'm unable to walk in the woods right now. Wasn't planning on being able to hunt for another couple of weeks or so. Today was a beautiful day so the wife and I decided to go for a drive through some of the nice turkey country in Montana.

We stopped for lunch in a nice area and sat in the back of our Subaru facing the woods. I recently got a Mark Prudhomme tube call. It doesn't have a lip stop so I've been having a bit of trouble getting used to it. I'm not very good with a tube call anyway. Well, I started messing around with yelping, clucking, and gobbling. Lo and behold a hen started yelping off in the distance. I kept it up and she kept yelping back at me. After a bit, I heard a gobble. Next thing I know six hens come walking right past the car about 30 yards away with a gobbler in tow. I could have killed him but for one thing - our season doesn't open until tomorrow!

Anyway, it was exciting,
and I suppose that I'm half way decent with my Prudhomme tube call. I might try the same thing tomorrow, but I'm guessing the chance of that happening again are pretty slim. But it's better than sitting at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tad1

Man, that is awesome!  Almost as fun as killing one!
  Wishing you a speedy recovery for your ankle.
    JT

merriamsman

Tried it again today with the season open and my gun with me. Of course, things like that don't happen very often and this was no exception. There were no birds heard or seen. Oh well, sure was fun yesterday.

merriamsman

merriamsman

I hope to be able to start hunting them for real in a couple of weeks.

aclawrence

I've been getting better on my Prudhomme tube. I've discovered if I twist the tube a little bit where the late. Is a little diagonal from my lips it sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merriamsman

Quote from: aclawrence on April 23, 2024, 06:38:35 PMI've been getting better on my Prudhomme tube. I've discovered if I twist the tube a little bit where the late. Is a little diagonal from my lips it sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll try that.

merriamsman

Well, I got back to the spot where those earlier pictures were taken. I'm still pretty limited, but this time I was able to walk in a couple of hundred yards and set up. This two -year old was running with two Jake's. I got them to start to come in with my Prudhomme tube call, then finished them with clucks from my OG push-pin. The whole hunt only took a hour. These were different birds than the ones I called in from the back of the car. A really fun hunt and it sure was nice to be back in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro