turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help choosing striker lineup

Started by RiverRoost, April 14, 2024, 10:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I need some guidance choosing between strikers I have. I currently am carrying a David halloran Purple Heart, JLH Honduran rosewood, JLH heavy hickory and a JLH frog wood. My pots are crystal mistress, halloran ceramic and halloran slate. I also have a Stuckey macassar ebony and halloran Ipe in the drawer at home. I don't use the frog wood much but like it for a "softer" wood it feels like to me and seems quieter. Thinking about replacing something for the macassar but which one out of the rosewood, Purple Heart and cedar. And should the ipe make the vest also? I know nothing about different woods so not sure if any of these "overlap" any

mauser06

Run them on your calls and see what sounds good to you and what plays easy.  Nothing is more frustrating than a finicky striker or box call.

Mac ebony takes ceramics to a different level IMO.  I really like them. 

I don't like carrying a ton of stuff...but I've watched and hears birds completely ignore something and literally run to something else.  So innthe grand scheme of things, extra strikers can be used to get those different sounds from different calls. 

One thing I think is sometimes ignored, i think striker tips need cleaned..some light sand paper just to clean to debris off from one surface to another (and just periodically to maintain them)