News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I normally use ONX change my mind

Started by Elidepew05, April 14, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Quote from: Sixes on April 14, 2024, 08:37:06 PM
Not sure which is better, but if you called me out of the blue to try to hunt, it would not go to well

Why is that? Would you prefer that people show up on your doorstep to ask instead?  I have found that some landowners prefer a call while others prefer a visit. I hate to drop in unannounced.

g8rvet

Had Onx.  The boundaries were iffy at best.  Proved it on my own property that I had surveyed.  I now use Basemap.  Better satellite images, whole US, took me right to my corner marker.  I hunt a place now that has some odd boundaries and it has been pretty dang good based on the number of old fences I have found.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bwhana

I have used OnX, Huntstand, Basemaps, and Spartan Forge.  If you could combine them into one, it would be perfect. I think OnX has the best interface, but Spartan Forge offers the most of what I want for the $, so I dropped the rest.

Sixes

Quote from: BDeal on April 15, 2024, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: Sixes on April 14, 2024, 08:37:06 PM
Not sure which is better, but if you called me out of the blue to try to hunt, it would not go to well

Why is that? Would you prefer that people show up on your doorstep to ask instead?  I have found that some landowners prefer a call while others prefer a visit. I hate to drop in unannounced.

Because I do not think someones personal information should be available on an app. I don't live in an area where door knocking is common, but I do deal with trespassers every year on an urban tract and people thinking they should get to hunt.  It gets old

Marc

I attempted Gaia, and found it too complicated for my simple mind...

Which is most user friendly?

Which gives the names and/or information from property owners?

Which is easiest to read?

Which works with Google maps?

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

In Florida, Tax assessor info is public record.  No phone numbers but a mailing address. 

I don't use it for that.  If I don't already know someone, I am not likely to ask.  We use a Canada version for duck hunting, but that is a whole different game.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deathfoot

I hunt more than 2 states. So Onx is bogus.

I use HuntWise. Not crazy about it. But I can have all 50 states. I have the free onx because they seem to show more roads and water. I need to look at other options because I refuse to pay OnX for 2 states

Wigsplitter

ScottTaulbee

I use hunt wise, it isn't great but better than OnX. Might try the BaseMap out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I have used every one mentioned here and I found Basemap to be the most user friendly and it will work better with an older phone than the others as well. I think the maps are clearer than OnX but OnX also goes further down from the satellite and has more up to date information as far as changes to the landscape so I would say newer images. The thing I like on Huntwise is the wind direction thing that tells you which stand/blind is best to hunt during deer season. Overall I prefer the ease of use of Basemap and the fact the the base package is free to use even when you don't have the paid product. (Has been a few years since I have used the others though so they may let you use their base maps free now too. By the way, I would not want you calling me out of the blue either, be a man come up to me and ask.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Elidepew05

I wouldn't mind talking face to face with said property owner but most tax addresses here in Missouri come back out of state. I would use it more for duck hunting as there is not of public around here.

Spurs

Quote from: Marc on April 15, 2024, 06:12:16 PM
I attempted Gaia, and found it too complicated for my simple mind...

Which is most user friendly?

Which gives the names and/or information from property owners?

Which is easiest to read?

Which works with Google maps?

I've been using GAIA for a very long time and agree that it is complicated, but more powerful than any other mapping app.  It also offers a much higher level of customization with the ability to change layers and how they are oriented.  Also, custom layers allows you to add Google Earth's most recent imagery.

In the flip side, I can totally see how the simplicity of other apps is appealing.  I'm just a map junky though.  I've tried other apps and none other come close to comparison and the price is WAY less.
This year is going to suck!!!

g8rvet

You are right about GAIA, but reading up on it gave me a headache!

ruination

I use onX.  I'll switch to whichever comes to Android auto first.

That being said, I would be more willing to switch if I could easily transfer my million pins.  There's an app idea. 
.410 Favors the Bold

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ruination on April 17, 2024, 10:03:41 PM
I use onX.  I'll switch to whichever comes to Android auto first.

That being said, I would be more willing to switch if I could easily transfer my million pins.  There's an app idea.

I am pretty sure you can transfer pins on Basemap. You can bring your pins over from PC to Android. I messed up the way this looks intentionally so nobody could add it to a program and have it identify where I am hunting, but all the pins are where they were. By the way, no I do not have all those blinds out at ones, I save the information from year to year to try to find patterns. I am not allowed to scout the property before the season so I rely on history.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."