turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who else has helped a fellow hunter

Started by Lcmacd 58, April 13, 2024, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lcmacd 58

This morning I took a friend to a spot really close to where I filled my 1st season tag yesterday.  He harvested a really nice 1 and I did all the calling. I won't be able to hunt again until the 25th. He was ecstatic and so was I.  It was a spot that not many people frequent even though its public ground. I know that turkey would have prolly stayed in the general area but this was his 1st public bird and his 1st score since starting 2 years ago. My question is do you guard your spots from everyone or do you help a few chosen ones. I am a senior citizen and he was 24. Was I right to give up a turkey to make a young man's season ???
Just wondering....

Tom007

Nice gesture, I have helped several in the turkey woods. I think it's why we are all here................
"Solo hunter"

Happy

Some I guard and some I keep to myself. I believe it's always nice to help others out. However, it can also bite you in the hind-end if you aren't careful. I would encourage a thorough screening of the person before that decision is made.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

I have.  Many times.   But almost ALWAYS with THEIR birds.

I had a (former) best friend stick it to me and break it off after I introduced him to goose hunting at MY HONEYHOLE.  So, if I take you hunting MY turkeys..........you're family or next thing to it.

But, I love helping others experience a spring hunt done right.  And hopefully, if it goes by the script, they've paid attention and learned a whole lot of things they to take to the woods the next time they go by themselves.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

richard black

I've helped out close friends and family on several occasions. All private land and never public. I too am a senior citizen and helping the younger ones to get into the game is a reward in itself, I applaud you for your unselfishness.

Marc

As long as you trust him to not take advantage and beat you to that spot next season...  Good for both of you!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

The land I hunt is private so I am not allowed to share which is understandable. Not sure I would anyway, I do not have to many places I can get to with my body.

I have given away all kinds of hunting related items, mostly archery and some turkey stuff.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

runngun

I do, every year. Multiple times throughout the season. Done it for a very long time. Has not come back to bite me yet either.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Prospector

I have and still will, BUT it depends on the situation. If you have land or access to birds but never reciprocate "my kindness" then I won't continue to extend invites. I have become the ol turkey hunter where it's "don't ask bc I don't tell". You have to be careful. Most all of the trespassing pblms we have had has come from former guest or family/friends of past guests. Loose lips....
OTOH, if the situation is right, I enjoy hunting with new friends....but I have become very cautious and selective.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

eggshell

I will help anyone I can, but at different levels. I agree, in most cases it should be on their spot.

Greg Massey

If i feel he has a great passion for learning about turkey hunting i don't mind helping a new hunter.. I just want him to understand my passion and the reasons i enjoy turkey hunting.

I would just like for that person to have some of the same characteristics as myself in hunting and pursuing these gobblers.

For myself, i will not just help everyone, i just have to get to know that person and what he's all about in wanting to chase gobblers.  Sorry this is just my code of ethics. I have spent countless hours learning to hunt these gobblers and if i pass what i have learned over to someone else i just want to know how really serious he / she is about turkey hunting.

I have taken a few new turkey hunters and they now enjoy that same passion in chasing turkeys..

silvestris

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2024, 09:19:19 AM

I have taken a few new turkey hunters and they now enjoy that same passion in chasing turkeys..

I have taken many new"hunters because I just wanted to spend a quite spring morning with them.  I have never taken one that I suspected might become a turkey hunter.  It grates to take someone who a year or so later is found hunting your spot without your knowledge.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Quote from: silvestris on April 17, 2024, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2024, 09:19:19 AM

I have taken many new"hunters because I just wanted to spend a quite spring morning with them.  I have never taken one that I suspected might become a turkey hunter.  It grates to take someone who a year or so later is found hunting your spot without your knowledge.

It all depends on your judgement in my opinion... But do whatever you want in taking others

ScottTaulbee

My most enjoyable hunt this season came from taking someone else. He had invited me to hunt his farm and when I showed up his intention was for me to call for him, I didn't know it until I got there. He had only turkey hunted a couple years and had killed a Jake by accidentally walking up on it. Well this gobbler is hot to trot on the limb, I bet he gobbled 300 times at everything that made a noise. He hung up in a creek bottom and I got him to break and come in. He comes up this ridge strutting, spitting, drumming all the way to us. He gets to around 26 or 28 yards and stands there for every bit of 3 minutes. I told the guy to shoot him at least a dozen times, he never did, the gobbler realized the jig was up and ran off. We beat him. And he was shook up. The show the gobbler put on was the highlight of my season so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Got my son in law his 1st called in turkey not on his family farm.  Son, 2 nephews, couple of good buddies all killed birds I either called in or set them up to call in.  I prefer to hunt with people that I am genuinely as happy with them killing one as me, and that list is a pretty small list. I'll take acquaintances fishing, but turkey hunting is for family and real friends. Heck, I cleared, planted and maintain a food plot on my property for others to hunt deer.  I don't care anything about deer hunting any more, but enjoy planting and maintaining the plot. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.