OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning slate pots

Started by King Cobra, April 05, 2024, 01:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

I usually use green 3M pads to condition my slate and tip of striker. Do you all use any other methods?
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Greg Massey

I use the same, just either green or gray scotch - brite ... my only suggestion is to change out those pieces of pad from season to season...
I do have a really small soft brush i will use in cleaning off the surfaces of my pots after conditioning them with a pad or conditioning stone etc...

Crowstalker

I use the same on the pots usually green and brown if I want more aggressive. I only use 220 grit or maybe 120 on strikers. The scotch brite polishes the striker tip so never on a striker. But that's my opinion for what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I was having to scratch my glass pot every trip, sometimes multiple times per trip.  Saw a guy on YouTube (I bought one of his pots) and he said to clean 1-2 times per year with denatured alcohol to get all the oils out from fingers, mosquito spray, etc.  HUGE difference.  Sounded like the first day I ran it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RiverRoost

Quote from: g8rvet on April 05, 2024, 05:28:24 PM
I was having to scratch my glass pot every trip, sometimes multiple times per trip.  Saw a guy on YouTube (I bought one of his pots) and he said to clean 1-2 times per year with denatured alcohol to get all the oils out from fingers, mosquito spray, etc.  HUGE difference.  Sounded like the first day I ran it.
Are you wiping the scratched spot on the glass pot with denatured alcohol? I find myself having to use either a scotch brite pad or screen on my crystal mistress every hunt and sometimes multiple times during a full day also.

hawkeye1958

I had to get more aggressive than Scotch Brite pads on my Crystal Mistress.

220 Drywall screen works great.

Scotch Brite and 90% alcohol work great on my slate calls.

Crowstalker

Definitely use the drywall stuff on glass and crystal. I try not to touch my surface on calls and yes alcohol will definitely clean it.  Strikers are different like I said before. Good luck everyone in the woods. Sadly my season is already over in South Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Yes, whole surface with alcohol.  It dries in a minute. Wipe it well. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.