turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old pots vs new pots......

Started by Tarheel, April 05, 2024, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

I'm sure most serious turkey hunters have in their arsenal of turkey calls some old pot calls....and some new pot calls.  I started purchasing pot calls back in the 1980s; but over the years, I've given most of my old pot calls I wasn't using away because I had newer calls I liked the sound better.  Turkey call collecting has never been one of my objectives; therefore, the calls I have kept I used to kill turkeys. Frankly, the pot calls made today are the best IMHO.  I have a few old pots calls; but very few, and they don't get hunted because I only carry to the woods what I consider the best sounding calls I have.  What old pots are any of you still hunting?

Greg Massey

Some of the old production pot calls were pretty good calls , Knight Hall had a few along with perfection and others. Some of the first custom calls i got , i still use and hunt, but i have over the years acquired several custom calls that are outstanding calls.. A lot of it all depends on your ears and the sounds / tones you like in any call...  I have a collection of calls with the intention of hunting them all...

Crowstalker

I like the old production calls made with a mike Battey pot. Those are good calls. Otherwise older David halloran from the early 2000's. Those are hard to beat. But there are a lot of newer callmakers making great calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnandy

Knight and Hale, still using an Ol Yeller here and there. I just love the tone. I guess it's the dominant hen in my head.

g8rvet

I honestly think a lot of turkey calling is about what we have confidence in and therefore spend more time using and are more successful. Kinda like the Gulp Swimbaits for trout and redfish.  Folks say they work better because they use them more.  My nephew catches more reds than me on a gold spoon, because that is his go to lure. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

cgarner1

I don't know if it's considered old but I carry a Cody spec 1 and sometimes a Billy white raspy glass

grayfox

Quote from: g8rvet on April 05, 2024, 05:31:20 PM
I honestly think a lot of turkey calling is about what we have confidence in and therefore spend more time using and are more successful. Kinda like the Gulp Swimbaits for trout and redfish.  Folks say they work better because they use them more.  My nephew catches more reds than me on a gold spoon, because that is his go to lure.

My opinion as well.

callmakerman

I love the black/gray slate calls and if I'm not hunting calls that I have made then I'll use slates by two call makers that I don't believe are turning pots anymore. Larry bean or Ralph Chamberlain both made at least to my ear slates that sound great and are proven to produce when I use them. The calls were made around 2006 and sound as good as anything out there today.

jmart241

I still use my K&H Ole Yeller some like the sound of it and a old Cody Glass

letinmfly

Quote from: callmakerman on April 06, 2024, 02:42:49 PM
I love the black/gray slate calls and if I'm not hunting calls that I have made then I'll use slates by two call makers that I don't believe are turning pots anymore. Larry bean or Ralph Chamberlain both made at least to my ear slates that sound great and are proven to produce when I use them. The calls were made around 2006 and sound as good as anything out there today.

Bill I believe you meant Ralph Chandler.  I agree Ralph's slates are among the best!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

callmakerman

You are correct Lou. I knew that I screwed something up when I posted it but wasn't sure what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTH

I loved my old k&H  pocket slate with a hickory striker. The old Alabama cackler was great! But better have spare rubber bands that came from the maker. I had a perfection screamin demon that up until last month I thought was a glass. Turns out it was blasted crystal. Loved! that call. I hunted with a guy for several years that carried an old lynch one sider and a jet slate.
Phil 4:13