turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

drying raw cedar

Started by Mailman, July 16, 2011, 10:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman

I have always bought the wood I've used for my calls. However my daughter resently cut down a cedar tree. I have the bottom section of the trunk she saved for me. What is the best way to dry this without a bunch of cracking. Should I cut it in slices or leave it in the big chunk and cut after it is dried?
One Shot One Kill

TarheelTurk

Im far from an expert in this but, from what i've read here you want to get it cut into blanks asap and be sure to seal the ends w/ a sealer, wax, or old latex paint . Hope this helps
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

pappy

Absolutely cut it now, let's say you're making box calls, cut the blanks just about 1/2" oversize, in length and width. Seal it on the ends, with some kind of protectant. Normally wood like cedar will dry pretty fast as it is softer, and more porous, if your blanks are 2" square and 8" long look for it to dry at least 6 months. As long as it is kept inside a dry and low humid area.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

fl panhandler

Mailman,
I would cut it as soon as possible and stack it with "stickers" between the slabs of wood.  Paint the ends with Anchorseal or latex paint as stated previously to help prevent checking.  They should also be weighted or strapped down to help prevent bowing.  Hope this helps.
Rick