OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting with vintage box calls

Started by doublespurs21, March 30, 2024, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I'm vintage myself 1957 so i guess whatever i use is vintage ... lol

Lcmacd 58

Wow .... never considered myself vintage
THATS why my knees hurt .... its called vintage

Yoder409

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I had this discussion elsewhere, with some call collector/accumulator guys.

IMHO........ any call in plastic, clamshell packaging.........any call with a web address on the packaging........any call with a UPC on the packaging, CAN'T be considered "vintage".

Well.........apparently "vintage" = 25 years or older.  So it's a matter of perspective.  And MY perspective is now that of an old fart.    :help:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ColemantownHC

I carry a late 1940/1950ish Lynch World Champion that was my grandfathers. It called in my first 10 or so birds. I've posted a pic before in another post.

Yoder409

Quote from: ColemantownHC on April 14, 2024, 07:01:19 PM
I carry a late 1940/1950ish Lynch World Champion that was my grandfathers. It called in my first 10 or so birds. I've posted a pic before in another post.

Yeah.

That old 12-hole is a warhorse !!!   A TREASURE !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cut N Run

I busted my @$$ crossing a creek along with my old Lynch back in the late 80s and replaced it with a Q.B. Grand Old Master that still gets use these days.  I don't consider it vintage.  Neither is my Q.B. Boat Paddle.  My "newest" box call is a Hustlin' Hen by Billy White from 2003 that he signed for me...it's the only way I know how long I've had it.  Every one of them talks the talk too.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

cgarner1

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 15, 2024, 06:23:43 PM
I busted my @$$ crossing a creek along with my old Lynch back in the late 80s and replaced it with a Q.B. Grand Old Master that still gets use these days.  I don't consider it vintage.  Neither is my Q.B. Boat Paddle.  My "newest" box call is a Hustlin' Hen by Billy White from 2003 that he signed for me...it's the only way I know how long I've had it.  Every one of them talks the talk too.

Jim

I punched a tag yesterday afternoon thanks to my hustlin hen. They are great boxes

Yoder409

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 15, 2024, 06:23:43 PM
I busted my @$$ crossing a creek along with my old Lynch ........

And that is EXACTLY why I shudder to take a lot of my vintage calls outta the house.    :help:
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

blake_08

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 30, 2024, 03:49:51 PM
Here's one, very old hen in this one. I would not hesitate to hunt it in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I hunt with a True Tone box every time I go to the woods. I have about 3 I've bought through ebay over the years. To my ears, 2 of mine sounds great.

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on April 17, 2024, 02:14:36 PM
Hunt 'em if ya got 'em  :you_rock:

Yeeeeaaaaahhh...............   MAYBE on a very special occasion.

In perfect weather.
PA elitist since 1979

runngun

I have a lot of turkey calls. I love all shapes and sizes of calls that I have acquired over the years. I have calls that could never be replaced. BUT I don't have a call that I wouldn't take to the woods. I have a few zip lock bags and small plastic containers that I will put my calls in. I carry them in my vest. I remember that my Daddy and Uncles that used to carry bread bags in the turkey woods to put their box call in. They would also run the calls inside the bags if it started raining. Heck if I had a OG push pin that sucker would be in the woods. I am fortunate to have a Tim Bullock push pin that is beautiful and sounds great. It goes to the woods!!!
Have a good one and May God bless y'all!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Yoder409

Quote from: runngun on April 18, 2024, 03:31:11 PM
I have a lot of turkey calls. I love all shapes and sizes of calls that I have acquired over the years. I have calls that could never be replaced. BUT I don't have a call that I wouldn't take to the woods.

Right there with ya..................  Right up until the last sentence.   :emoticon-animal-005:

I've got a bunch that'll never see the woods.  Partly due to irreplaceability.  Partly due to there's only so many days in turkey season.

I do have a special one I'm hoping to take out and kill ONE gobbler with this spring.  It'll need to be a bluebird day.  And, if I kill one with it, it'll never see the woods again whilst I own it.
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 17, 2024, 08:04:24 PM
Quote from: Zobo on April 17, 2024, 02:14:36 PM
Hunt 'em if ya got 'em  :you_rock:

Yeeeeaaaaahhh...............   MAYBE on a very special occasion.

In perfect weather.

Oh yeah, have several now that ain't EVER seeing the rain, bag or no bag, I'll somehow manage to screw it up. They've gotten so valuable it's ridiculous, but I do try, but it's getting harder...even for a crazy person ...like me.  :gobble:

Zobo

That would be a good new thread, calls you wouldn't hunt even with the slightest chance of rain.