OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Patterned my gun. This gonna be interesting.......

Started by Yoder409, March 28, 2024, 06:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Been wanting to try this for a couple years.

I picked up a shotgun 10 or so years ago that, even, shotgun guys don't know exists.  It's an Iver Johnson Champion single barrel..........which is not at all uncommon.  What IS uncommon is that it's in .44XL chambering.   The gun is (near as I can figure) 105-110 years old.  The .44XL was marketed as "the farmer's gun" and came with 2 choices of loadings.  One load was either a paper or wooden capsule with 3/8 ounce of #8 lead shot.  The other was a .43 caliber round ball.  Theory being if a farmer had this gun on the tractor and a few of each shell in his pocket he could shoot whatever he saw.

So, after a bunch of research, I learned how to handload for it as original shells (if you can find them) are collector's items at $10-$15 EACH.  I obtained 1/2 pound of 19 g/cc #10 TSS and loaded some plastic Speer shot capsules.  The HTL shot ends up with right at 1/2 ounce of shot.  Yesterday, I loaded up one round and went to the patterning range (my back yard).

Knowing this would be a short-range deal AT BEST........ I set up shop at 17 steps (50-ish feet) and had at it.  Chronographing shotshells is an inexact measure with the chrono I have.  So, to "test" velocity/lethality, I clipped a Bush's Beans can to the back side of the target to gauge penetration.

To say I was amazed would be the understatement of the year !!!!   Almost the entire pattern was inside an 18" circle !!!!  It was pretty uniform..........and printed EXACTLY to point-of-aim !!!   The bean can was full of entrance and exit holes with not one pellet held inside of it.

I'm ready !!!!   I'm fully fixing to fill my first tag with this gun.  Again......  Gonna be a close-range proposition.  I'm certain I could stretch things to 20 yards if need be.  The .410 guys can kiss my butt !!!    :TooFunny:

.44XL handload on the right     3" .410 on the left

The tale of the paper:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Wow Don, how bout a pic of this rare gun? Love to see it
"Solo hunter"

reflexl

I had this one brought to me wanting to make ammo for it several years ago. .44 shotgun as well. Someone had rechambered it to .410. He had some brand new .410 brass shot shells that were over 100 yards old. They took #57 Primers which I just happened to have. For about 30 feet it was pretty good.

Yoder409

Quote from: reflexl on March 28, 2024, 09:36:24 AM
I had this one brought to me wanting to make ammo for it several years ago. .44 shotgun as well. Someone had rechambered it to .410. He had some brand new .410 brass shot shells that were over 100 yards old. They took #57 Primers which I just happened to have. For about 30 feet it was pretty good.

Yeah.   A whole lot of them, I think, got re-chambered to 2.5" .410 decades and decades ago.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

That's pretty cool antique gun. Good luck with it.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

reflexl

Yoder409

Quote from: reflexl on March 28, 2024, 08:09:09 PM
Very neat. Good luck with it.

Thanks !!!!

It'll be an adventure.  A heckuva step back in time.  But, I believe it could be pretty do-able.

The one you pictured...........  Stevens, yes ??
PA elitist since 1979

POk3s

Delmar ODonnell

Don, I can't wait for you to kill one with this gun. It's going to be awesome.

Yoder409

I'm hoping I can make it all come together.

Gonna be a game of inches.   Or feet, anyways.......
PA elitist since 1979