Main Menu

New area ...vintage turkey guns

Started by Old Gobbler, March 27, 2024, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

1920 Greener Number 4 Buck

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JeffC

How far of shots for the Tom and old Wiley?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

Quote from: JeffC on April 01, 2024, 11:57:01 AM
How far of shots for the Tom and old Wiley?

The gobbler popped up at 23 yards on a narrow ridge I was set up on, heard him in the leaves and was able to line up on him. That gun is not tightly choked and is about a 33-34 yd gun, so you need to pick your setup spots.

The coyote came in on my off shoulder to 28 yds before I could get the gun shifted over on him

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gobbler428

Quote from: Super Fox on March 27, 2024, 09:25:34 PM
Thanks to Shannon for this new site. ;)

I was out in the early AM with a 1925 LC Smith Long Range. Kent 5-Star 5X5 in one barrel; Heavy Shot # 4s in the other.
This Elsie has a tougher than standard buttstock -with an original Jostam "No Kick Coming" period pad.
Great fun just  carrying it in the deep swamp edges. It is a proven gobbler slayer.
SWEET

Kytomgetter

Great topic on this forum really looking forward to it. I'd like to see some old Belgium Brownings

Bill

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 27, 2024, 12:32:02 PM
This is dedicated to the shotguns that were manufactured before most of us were born ...I would say 50 y/o guidelines.....old doubles etc...
Does a BSS count as "vintage"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

Yoder409

Quote from: Bill on April 15, 2024, 10:30:45 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 27, 2024, 12:32:02 PM
This is dedicated to the shotguns that were manufactured before most of us were born ...I would say 50 y/o guidelines.....old doubles etc...
Does a BSS count as "vintage"?

What Is Vintage? Vintage items are much younger than antiques. These pieces are typically defined as being at least 20 years old but less than 100 years old. The term "true vintage" is a sub-category for items that are at least 50 years old.

The above ain't from Merriam Webster, but................

The BSS was manufactured from 1971 until 1987, so.........  Could very well be "vintage".  And if it isn't.....it's very close.

That aside, the Browning BSS is one COOL, and QUALITY gun !!!!!   Great pic, Bill !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Bill

Thanks guys. If it's technically "vintage" or not, I don't know but I've always thought of the BSS as a modern gun as opposed to LC's, Foxes, Parkers, et al. Certainly, though, most any sxs fits the "traditional" category.

Those mfg. dates are interesting, Don, I had not realized they were made that late into the 1980's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk