turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Conditioning glass

Started by bowbird87, March 27, 2024, 10:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbird87

Any else notice not all conditions stone are equal? The ones I've recently gotten seem to polish the glass more than scratch it. Makes the surface almost slick even though it looks rough.

GregN

Nothing worse than having your striker slip on call surface.  :-[.  The few stones I have were provided by the call makers and work fine for me.  Maybe the pores of the stone are clogged?  My try hitting the stones w tooth brush and some.detergent and rinse w water and see if that helps. 

bbcoach

Drywall screen works the best for me.  Won't clog up and a little piece goes a long way to rough up crystal or glass.

Harty

Quote from: bbcoach on March 27, 2024, 11:56:22 AM
Drywall screen works the best for me.  Won't clog up and a little piece goes a long way to rough up crystal or glass.

The above (drywall screen)is my go to on glass and crystal as well. Remember to condition in one direction as well.

bowbird87

You using 120 or 150 grit

bbcoach

I use whatever I have.  I think mine right now is 150.  Just want to scratch it up a little for the striker to bite.

Brinkcalls

Medium grit drywall screen. It's what I use when hunting. When I sell calls and rough up a nice square patch it's with a primos slick stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Harty on March 27, 2024, 12:33:26 PM

The above (drywall screen)is my go to on glass and crystal as well. Remember to condition in one direction as well.

Someone hear told me this and I have not gone back.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mastevt

Quote from: bowbird87 on March 27, 2024, 10:29:06 AM
Any else notice not all conditions stone are equal? The ones I've recently gotten seem to polish the glass more than scratch it. Makes the surface almost slick even though it looks rough.

The last batch of stones I bought from Brookside, were much coarser, and seemed to disintegrate quickly just after a couple initial break ins, compared to my original purchase which seemed much of a finer made stone.  You can easily see the difference between the 2.  I sent Brookside an email on the issue, and they pretty much seem disinterested in the issue, and I go no real answers.  Imagine that!   I can hear the difference on the pot between the 2 stones, and the finer stones give a much cleaner sound whereas the rougher stones created a dirty gritty sound.  Following up with either drywall screen or 120 grit sandpaper helped clear it up.  But bottom line, I'm not happy with the current inventory of stones he has.  Don't know of anyone else who offers them.

BTH

I have noticed the newer stones do seem to clog quicker and need to be brushed out more so than the ones years ago. I like gently using the stone first of the season each year then the drywall screen during the season. I do use a brown scotchbrite piece to gently clean the dust out off after I'm done with the stone. I'll recondition using the stone with firm pressure as needed usually every couple of seasons. I will say a dymondwood striker on glass or crystal will slick it out faster from the resin buildup from the adhesives that bond the layers of wood together. Frogwood doesn't seem to be quite as bad. 
Phil 4:13