turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

E-scouting

Started by Jw157762, March 20, 2024, 10:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jw157762

Just curious about opinions on e-scouting. I'm new to turkey hunting and have to travel to hunt. What are some e-scouting strategies that you use before actually putting boots on the ground?

GobbleNut

By E-scouting, I am assuming that you are referring to using a mapping app.  If so, there are a number of things I look at.  I want to use a mapping source (OnX, Basemap, etc.) that provides as much information as possible on such things as land status, road and trail systems, topographical views, aerial satellite views, 3D views. etc.

On the "macro" scale, I want to identify the boundaries of the area/property I will be hunting. If it is a large public area like a National Forest, or similar, I try to narrow down things by looking at the habitat characteristics that might be conducive to holding turkeys. Basic stuff like roosting habitat, water availability, nearby farming/agriculture/artificial food plots, etc.   Of course, the relative value of those factors can vary a lot based on where you are hunting. 

On smaller properties (and assuming other hunters are hunting there), I tend to look for less accessible areas that might be difficult to access from the property access points.  However, one "wild card" that often exists in that strategy is understanding that hunters might be able to access those same places from surrounding holdings (it is always a bummer when you work your tail off to get to an isolated spot only to find out the property owner across the boundary is letting hunters go in from across his land).  The point being that it is also a good idea to contemplate the access issue from the surrounding properties, as well.

Personally, I really enjoy "E-scouting" for hunts. Speculating as to where to go and then actually going there and finding out if your "speculations" were correct is fun, not to mention it helps pass the time before those hunts.  Of course, we don't always get it right with those speculations so it is always best to allow enough time to actually physically check things out if possible.   :icon_thumright:

Lcmacd 58

All very advise .... i use it all year long .... i mark where the gobblers roost from year to year .... all kinds of things. Its not a do all .... i still spend almost everyday the month before season walking and using my binos. Youll never replace boots on the ground.

Jw157762

I appreciate the advice! Trying to get any advantage I can since traveling really limits my ability to do my homework beforehand.