OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which hulls

Started by 28 gauge Hunter, March 12, 2024, 06:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

28 gauge Hunter

What difference is it in High Brass 28 gauge hulls compared to low brass on TSS loads ,I read somewhere about this but can't remember where . Thanks for any help

krm944

Brass height is of no consequence. Brass height is something that was once used to signify a heavier load or a heavier dram equivalent. It's nostalgic at this point.

runngun

Please don't use low brass hulls for reloading TSS. I bought some from a well known maker for my 28 gauge. They were low brass, and I had 3 of them separate on me. Came apart at the brass/plastic.
I notified the owner and let him know because I don't want to see anyone get hurt. He told me that the low brass was the only ones that he could get. With my gun no one was hurt, neither was the gun.
Gun works awesome with other shells.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

krm944

Low brass is a wives tale. If you had separation you had shells that were over pressure, not loaded correctly, or you have gun problems.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'll bet you're shooting a semi 28 gauge with 1 5/8 payload. The powders reloaders have available to push that load and stay under max pressure is overgassing your gun. There's a good chance it was stroking the bolt so fast your gun wasn't sending the second round to battery. Many have opined this is because the initial pressure spike from the powder occurs when the wad/shot is still in the barrel. Shorter barrel 28s don't seem to have this issue.

Activ used to make shotshells that were all plastic, just a touch of brass on the rim.

Here is a link to the National Shooting Sports Foundation-

http://www.nssfblog.com/firstshotsnews/shotgun-shells-explained-the-new-shooters-dictionary/