OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old fashioned pot calls (w/o the pot)

Started by RustyBarrels, March 07, 2024, 11:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyBarrels

Who still runs an old-school slab of slate cupped and cradled against your knee?

Been considering picking one up, but I've got some questions.  Who has experience with pot calls that don't actually have a pot?  In my lifetime everyone I know uses a slate that's bedded into a pot. This archaic concept is mighty appealing as I'm not a vest-wearer.  Having a sleek profile seems perfect for the fanny pack.
Steep learning curve?
Any tips/tricks?

cgarner1

Check out Fred Cox's double talker. He runs grand slams Turkey calls. Very unique call

RustyBarrels

I've had my eye on that call for a bit.  Might just have to ride over to Reidsville and hear him play it.

I was hoping somebody could give me a little info on using these things.

Greg Massey

Marlin Watkins Coaxer" turkey call is an awesome old school call... You can watch him play it in a couple of his YouTube videos ...

cgarner1

I picked one up from him at the Dixie deer classic the other weekend, really nice little call that don't take up any room and got 2 playing surfaces on it

PALongspur

Roger Parks makes an awesome single slate with a block striker. They are a deadly little call. He also had a leather sleeve with them.

Not sure he really pushes them any more but he would probably build one on request.

BTH

Phil 4:13

silvestris

When I started there was no concept of a pot call.  We had no problem killing with a piece of slate and the right sticker.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Quote from: silvestris on March 14, 2024, 11:14:36 PM
When I started there was no concept of a pot call.  We had no problem killing with a piece of slate and the right sticker.

Agree, we used a piece of slate and a homemade corncob cedar striker ... We would take our pocket knife and whittle our strikers...