OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: bps barrel at Magna-port  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Miburmanelly

bps barrel at Magna-port
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
I am having the BPS 10 barrel ported, and forcing cone lengthened and polished, can't wait til it comes back !!
This is the first barrel i have had ported with them. I have used their services for other items...like brakes on rifles and pistol work.
Ken is doing the standard 6/5 on each side, plus an additional 3 on each side(his personnal recommendation), plus the forcing cone work.
As you might be aware, Ken's father Larry...the founder and innovator of EdM porting, passed away in December. If given a chance...drop Ken a email along with condolences. A professional company along with very, very professional work.

Offline Hognutz

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Life Member N.R.A. Global Flatulator
Re: bps barrel at Magna-port
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Why the porting job? Do you feel it will reduce the recoil significantly enough to be worth the effort? I have heard some reports on this, and from what I understand, the ports on a shotgun are not nearly as effective on a shotgun because of the slow speed of the shot, vs. a much faster bullet on a rifle. Let me know what you have heard..Thanks, Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Offline BigPeck215

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
i have heard that porting in a shotgun barrel helps to slow the wad and separate it from the shot leading to better patterns much like the wad catcher rings in a Indian creek choke do

Offline Hognutz

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Life Member N.R.A. Global Flatulator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
So it is not a recoil issue at all, but a pattern issue. Interesting.. I am thinking about a 10 ga., myself. Don't need one, but I believe that I have to have one. We'll see how it shakes out..Thanks for the info Big Peck..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Offline Miburmanelly

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »
I got the barrel back today, looks sharp, and I've screwed an Indian Creek in it,   cant wait to shoot it, oh wait.... yes i can,    just remembered...still awaiting shells from Nitro!!!