OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel Length Question.....  (Read 137 times)

Offline Mississippi Yelper

Barrel Length Question.....
« on: March 21, 2024, 05:55:33 PM »
I have three SP-10's, and of the three, two of them have the shorter barrels  (24" maybe) and one has a 28" barrel..... using TSS 7's and an indian creek .690, the pattern on the longer barrel is ridiculously tighter than the shorter one (i have only shot one of the shorter barreled guns)... same choke, same shells, way different pattern.... i couldn't see the barrel being longer making that extreme of a difference, but I could be wrong.... I just don't know why exactly i am... my question is this: Is the forcing cone of the longer barrel a little bit longer than the shorter barrel? both barrels of course are the same on each end, but have different taper per inch due to the length... could the forcing cone be longer increasing the performance of the longer barrel? could it be due to the increased muzzle velocity of the longer barrel? or is it just better because its got 4 more inches of barrel? ALSO, those who have the shorter barrel guns, what constriction choke do you use? TIA

Offline Bottomland OG

Re: Barrel Length Question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:22:50 PM »
I have an early 90’s model sp-10 with the shorter barrel. I have a .690 Rhino in it and it’s a monster.
I have a ton of turkey guns, both short barrels and long. Not all but a couple of the short barrels I’ve had to run a little tighter choke to make them come around. All guns are different though.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:55:47 PM »
Thank you for your reply…. I am using an Indian creek, but I feel the shot is being “scattered” in that gun/choke….. I wish I had taken picture to post the difference, but I was so aggravated at the difference that I went straight in to “swap barrels” mode…..

Offline Bottomland OG

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:19:51 PM »
I completely understand. Well good luck with figuring it out. It could be as simple as that gun just don’t like the load and choke combo. Changing a little something up could make all the difference.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 09:49:21 AM »
I run an SP10 26 inch barrel with a .695 Jellyhead choke and a 32 inch single barrel H&R 10  with a .700 Sumtoy choke and have found TSS8 to be the best shot size for patterns. The TSS 7 have the lethality to kill a deer, but if patterns are what you are after try TSS 8. I also have a 23 inch SP10 in mint condition that has only been fired once, saving it to fund my retirement plan, lol.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 12:42:37 PM »
Yes sir! My wife gifted me a MINT condition SP-10 in original bottomland for my first fathers day.... she fusses at me for "never shooting the one she bought".... i try to make her understand my reasoning... lol