turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sycamore??

Started by runngun, March 05, 2024, 10:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

I know that some of y'all have worked with Sycamore. What are your thoughts on it for call making? I have seen boxes, pot calls and others, I turned some today, very pretty, but man to my nose it smells like a smoking hot pile of dog poo poo. Is it just me? Planning to use slate for calling surface.  I can use another if I need to, I also have glass, purple slate red slate copper and ceramic. Same for the soundboard.  What would y'all suggest?   
I appreciate y'all!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Sir-diealot

I am clearly not on the level of an actual call maker, I have just done the kits. I like the way the quartersawn sycamore pot with glass soundboard and black slate turned out, though I would like to make another and use something other than polyurathan to seal it. I like the sound, though I am not the greatest caller in the world by a long shot. I sanded by hand so I did not get that smell.

https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/sycamore-turkey-call-pot-kit-i-made?si=600e4dd8eab94fda8ce841bca86f6cf8&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

This is what I use now instead of polyurethane.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Notsoyoungturk

I have a Wendell Rye spalted sycamore with glass over glass.  Great sounding call.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

doublespurs21

i use this wood, never had a smell to it,,

caneman

I had a smaller piece of spalted sycamore that I made a 3 inch pot call out of with ceramic over glass and it was and still an outstanding sounding call.

caneman

Here is a picture of the salted sycamore call I made.

M,Yingling

I do lot gray slate over slate in that wood makes for great soft raspy call   Yes not all that I have turned smells but i have had some that stunk lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

runngun

That's a great looking call!!
Thanks Mike I appreciate it. Fortunately or unfortunately I have 4 long boards of it at least 2x8x10
Hope all of it does not smell the same.
If some of y'all don't mind I will be posting pictures of several boards that I don't know the species. I got it from a local call maker as he was moving backinOctober. 2 truck loads.
I have been making a few calls for the last few years. But I think I have enough until.......

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ferocious calls

My absolute favorite wood for short boxes.