turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

“Old Gobbler Early Days”

Started by Tom007, March 05, 2024, 07:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

As you know, push pins are my favorite/go-to call. I always carry 2, all my calling is primarily using push-pins. I do use a mouth call quite often, and I do mix in other calls from time to time. I stated collecting Shannon's calls as soon as I heard his "Poolside" late-night you-tube video. The sounds he makes on his push-pin are unreal. There's no way a turkey could resist these yelps, clucks, and purrs. I want to share 2 of his earlier calls with you. The one on the left is a Gaboon Ebony I got several years ago on EBay. I won the late night bid and was ecstatic. The call is a very early one of his. The lanyard was extremely long, I've since shortened it. The paddle does not have the Titanium Plate on the bottom like his newer calls have. He told me this is one of his earlier calls, and it sounds awesome. If you look close, the wood has some Brown Hues in the grain. The call on the left is a special call to me. I got it from a friend who wants to remain anonymous. This is also an early call from Shannon, I believe it's from 2014,2015. He refers to this call as his "Hunter Friendly" call. Smaller, the pin is shorter but the sound is awesome. It does have a softer volume level, but it is as deadly as they come. As you can see, the soundboards have that patented "Fancy Veneer" look that gives his calls their unique, unmatched sound. Congrats to all that we're lucky enough to land one of these, they really are treasures to any turkey guru. Good luck this season.....
"Solo hunter"

Bedge7767

Very nice Tom! That hunter friendly call is pretty rare.
Jim

Tom007

Quote from: Bedge7767 on March 05, 2024, 07:29:33 PM
Very nice Tom! That hunter friendly call is pretty rare.

Yea Jimmy, I think he said he only made a few. I forgot to point out the little tie that secures the pin from moving making noise. Great idea when your on the move......be well
"Solo hunter"

Old Gobbler

Awesome ! Yes the Gabon ebony is one of the first ones I made for public sale !

The second one is one of less than 20 poplar models with a special layup

Nice ones !
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greg Massey

Congrats Ton on some great push pins and the history you shared is priceless...  I'm sure they are killers in the turkey woods...

runngun

That is some great calls. Most importantly you hunt with them. I have a few rare and expensive calls but I don't own a call that I wouldn't take in the woods!!! Shannon can surely make them talk.
I don't have one of his yet!!! But I am keeping the faith.
I definitely enjoy the dog and pony show when he posts one for sale. Folks can't pay attention to the rules. Cracks me up to see people post who have 2 posts!!! Leeches!!!
I hope that you get a biggun this year!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Zobo

Thanks for sharing that Tom, really interesting. History in the making!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Appreciate all of you. Yes, I do hunt all my calls, that's what I collect them for. I change them up pretty much every hunt, never using the same one 2 days in a row on the same birds. Be safe, good luck to all...
"Solo hunter"

Ranman

JeffC

Thanks for sharing a small piece of your collection there "Push-pin Tom".  Do you have a favorite??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Quote from: JeffC on March 06, 2024, 08:27:34 AM
Thanks for sharing a small piece of your collection there "Push-pin Tom".  Do you have a favorite??

Quote from: Ranman on March 06, 2024, 08:22:18 AM
Those are nice, thx for sharing.

Thanks my friends. My favorite is the one I lay on his wing in my harvest photo. All kidding aside Jeff, I love 'em all. Each one has their own unique sound.....
"Solo hunter"

sbbow

Very nice and thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: sbbow on March 06, 2024, 01:52:46 PM
Very nice and thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for listening, best of luck this year......
"Solo hunter"

Tyoung

Thanks for sharing with the included history of the calls....