turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Janka scale and relation to strickers?

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, July 12, 2011, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

Well since the Janka scale chart was brought up.  I have limited experience so I was hoping others could fill in.

Upon looking at the chart it seems many like striker woods that fall in the middle.  Do others notice this as well?  Is the chart a good determination to sound quality? 

Example purpleheart and Hickory measure up real close.  Do you notice a difference in the sound between the 2? 

Sorry but as I stated above my experience is limited with all the different combinations out there.  Just trying to learn before I buy ;)

kenturkey89

I've only been in the call making business for about 5 months or so, so I haven't had time to work with many woods yet, but I do have purpleheart and hickory strikers and I have to say, I love both of these woods for strikers.  At least for my pot design, I get a lot more rasp with a purpleheart striker and a slightly higher pitch than I do with a hickory striker.  I love both because I can get raspy and aggressive with a purpleheart striker, and a little softer and clearer with a hickory striker, all while using the same pot call.

I wish I had more experience to answer some of your other questions, but I will say that wood grain affects sound quality as well.  So if you had two woods of similar density, the grain of the wood can make a big difference on the sounds they produce.
Brian

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: kenturkey89 on July 12, 2011, 11:37:45 PM
I've only been in the call making business for about 5 months or so,

So if you had two woods of similar density, the grain of the wood can make a big difference on the sounds they produce.

That is a good observation with the limited time you mention.   :icon_thumright:

The janka scale can be a helpful tool, but should not be the only thing you base your wood choices on.  As mentioned, 2 woods with similar "hardness" may have different grain structures and can produce very different sounds.  The "balance" of your striker will effect the sound quite alot as well.  For example, depending on the sound I want, I can turn osage orange to produce a higher pitched, crisp, raspy sound -or- I can turn it thicker and produce a striker that can "tame" a call that has a tendency to be edgy or not have as good a breakover with some other striker woods. 

You can do a few searches in this sub-forum and likely find some input about striker woods that different folks prefer.  Experience will be your best teacher as you try different woods with different designs (balance) on your strikers.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

VanHelden Game Calls

I do understand the main variables.

The chart was the first I heard of it.  And looking at the chart I was wondering if there was true merit when it comes to strikers.  Something I can reference when I find that pc of odd wood.