OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any one ever used redbud?

Started by Swamp, July 12, 2011, 06:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

A storm just came thru and blew one down in my yard  I'm gonna try to use it to make some calls anyone ever tried it?

misfire

I have some in the shop that I am still waiting to dry enough to turn
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

doepee

Not since I got out of high school... many years ago!!! :TooFunny:

Swamp

the storm also got some bradford pears if nothing else I'm gonna use them to pratice with who knows they my turn out good.

lightsoutcalls

Be sure to seal the ends of the wood with either a thick coat of latex paint or some anchor seal.  It will slow the checking on the ends. 

Bradford pear has very little grain character, but is a good, dense wood.  Once dry it turns well.
Redbud will have a nice, deep yellow/brown color as it dries.  I have only come up with pieces big enough for a crow call or two in the past.  I would think it would make decent strikers once it dries, but don't have much experience with it.  I did notice one last night near me that had blown down.  There were 2 trunks about 8"-10" thick at their widest.  I eyed them for awhile and may have to go volunteer to haul them off.  ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Swamp

we have had trees go down just about every storm this year we finally just decided to cut them down and plant something new. I just hate to see wood go to waste even if they don't turn out good its still good pratice. I'm just now starting out, all Ive made so far is a few pots but ha vent glued anything in yet, so far Ive got some walnut, cherry, redbud, and the bradfords to work with as soon as they dry.  Thanks for the replies.

misfire

Bradford pear, though it is plain, is an exceptional wood to turn. One of the few that can be turned to thousandths of an inch. It also makes a very nice striker and pot.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Ferguson

I seen a lid made on a long box and it looked really sharp. I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Someday I will try some for lids myself.
David Ferguson
Eminence, MO
573 226 5939

KryptoniteKills

Aint never made any calls from it but I smoked some red bud once....potent stuff :}

doepee

Quote from: KryptoniteKills on July 16, 2011, 12:53:06 AM
Aint never made any calls from it but I smoked some red bud once....potent stuff :}
like I said not since high school.... ;D

West Augusta

Red bud and Bradford Pear both make good strikers.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

I have several boxes made by Jack Wright with redbud wood and they sound super turkey. He told me that the grain has to be straight as possible, no burling, and he matched his boxes made from redbud with cedar or mahogany. I have some drying for long boxes, I also have some super nice burls for pot calls.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206