turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call lids

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 25, 2024, 07:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm putting together wood for a custom box call.  I want to use 200-yr old heart pine for the box.  I have several hard, dense exotics to choose from for the lid. What would be a good lid wood for the heart pine box?  I don't mind using a domestic wood for the lid if an exotic won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Paulmyr

I'm definitely not a box call expert. Just going by the Janka ratings, Hickory might be a good option as a domestic wood or possibly a softer wood like a cedar might work.

I'm curious to hear what the experts on this site might recommend as a domestic option as your heart pine is in between the walnut I been using and the ash I have drying as far as Janka ratings go.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yoder409

Maybe try a heart pine paddle.  Should work if you've got a nice, straight-grained piece. 

Walnut, cherry and hard maple usually don't disappoint, either.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BOB_HARWELL

Heart pine lids will work well on it. I've made several all heart pine calls.

culpeper

Make several lids from your exotic assortment and try them all to see which works best.  That way you'll also learn more for future call making.