turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

California Public Land Rios

Started by cthemfall514, February 11, 2024, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthemfall514

Whats up guys. Trying to plan another out of state trip. Hunted the Black Hills last year and did really well, buddy and myself doubled up on longbeards. I have family in the Bay area and I am thinking of hunting out there the last week of the season. I have looked for info online but am having trouble distinguishing what NF and WA have rios vs merriams. I need a Rio to complete my slam. If anybody that is from Cali or has hunted for Rios on public out there can help, I would greatly appreciate it. As always I can swap info for public land osceolas and black hills merriams. Thanks again, and good luck this season to all..

mcw3734

If it were me, I'd call the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. Web search or just call them to find their lead game bird biologist. Also, maybe reach out to a California chapter(s) of the National Wild Turkey Federation?

FullChoke

Generally you will find Rios in the central valley, coastal ranges and foothills of the Sierras. Merriams are usually found in the upper elevations in the Sierras.

Good luck out there.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

JRICHARD9

what fullchoke said. if you need some info give me a shout im active duty and have been in CA the last five years

NCL

I live in Northern California and have only encountered Rio's. I know there were Merriam's planted in the past but have only heard of one being killed. I heard the plants of Merriam's did not go well but I have no confirmation.  Since I am in the far north I do not have any knowledge about the mention of Upper Sierras. If you need additional information feel free to PM and I will help if I can

cthemfall514