OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SA28 choke

Started by Swampfoxforeman, February 07, 2024, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampfoxforeman

I'm picking up a SA-28. I've been considering buying a Sumtoy choke for it. Anyone have experience with the SA-28 with a Sumtoy choke, and #9 TSS?

runngun

If mine didn't shoot as well as it does with the Factory full choke there's no doubt that I would not have a second thought about getting a Sumtoy.  Williams choke tubes work fantastic. Plus if you don't get what you want to see, he will work with you until you are happy with it. That's customer service, with a smile.
1st thing I would try your factory full choke.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

twyatt

No experience with the Sumtoy but I've had 3 SA28's.  Unfortunately 2 had cycling problems and I sold them at a horrible loss. 
However they all patterned excellent.  Just depends on what kind of pattern you're looking for.  The Indian Creek .520 will give you a very nice tight pattern.  High numbers at 40 but up close it was too tight for me.
The IC .525 is probably what most people would want in an even hunting pattern.  I opted for a touch more, and shoot a TruLock .535 in mine now, which still has an excellent pattern but gives me a tiny more wiggle room for close shots, which most of mine are.
Anything .520 - .535 has worked great in my guns, and has worked great with a large variety of brands from FoxTrot, Apex, hand loads, Salt Creek, Viper, etc. 
All 3 of my birds last year were with Viper 10's and the TruLock .535.
TruLock also makes a .529 and .532, and I'm sure anything Sumtoy makes in that same range will be equally as good.

SA410Turkey

I have a Sumtoy choke, .522 in one of my SA-28 shotguns. I'm shooting Salt Creek 1 1/4 of #10's. I shot the 9's in it and it wasn't as dense as I wanted it to be. Maybe If I would shoot 1 1/2 oz of 9's it would be better. The choke has a nice open pattern in my gun and starts getting thin at 40 yards. Closer than 40 yards it's a real nice hunting pattern. The 1 1/4 loads are very low recoil.

SumToy

We have found that the 9.5 in our choke shoots good.   Salt Creek was the best in test BUT that was a 9.5 rest was 9s.   That little 22 inch like the smaller loads also.   If you going to stuff big loads I think go big choke or go 20ga.     

Now all the other 28s did better than our test gun.   Something with the short barrel on it. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Swampfoxforeman

Quote from: SumToy on February 09, 2024, 08:50:55 AM
We have found that the 9.5 in our choke shots good.   Salt Creek was the best in test BUT that was a 9.5 rest was 9s.   That little 22 inch like the smaller loads also.   If you going to stuff big loads I think go big choke or go 20ga.     

Now all the other 28s did better than our test gun.   Something with the short barrel on it.

Sir with #9 TSS handloads what constriction you think?

Ranman

.525 in mine with #9 tss

Greg Massey

525 Indian CK with 8.5 is what I'm going to try. Most of my shots are within 30 yards or less ...

SumToy

Quote from: Swampfoxforeman on February 12, 2024, 08:00:52 PM
Quote from: SumToy on February 09, 2024, 08:50:55 AM
We have found that the 9.5 in our choke shots good.   Salt Creek was the best in test BUT that was a 9.5 rest was 9s.   That little 22 inch like the smaller loads also.   If you going to stuff big loads I think go big choke or go 20ga.     

Sir with #9 TSS handloads what constriction you think?

We tested a 515 Up to 530 and did not see alot of change.  We tried short long different stops it was crazy what we throwed at the short barrel.   Every choke and shell that worked in the long barrels did not work in that one.    We set on the 522 it gave a perfect hutting pattern not a paunch paper post all over facebook to pimp stuff. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SA410Turkey

Mr. SumToy I will have to agree the 522 produces one heck of a hunting pattern. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't have Facebook though, lol. Thank you for the recommendation!!