North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Roaring 20s - 2024: The Reckoning

Started by FullChoke, February 03, 2024, 04:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Worthy advisors,

It is that time of the year again to crank up the diesel engine and let The Roaring 20s locomotive build up a churning head of steam and begin to cheerfully run over all of these other imposters in the 2024 Old Gobbler Turkey Hunting Contest!  If you are an R20s alumni in good standing and would like to be back on the team this year, please post here or send me a PM no later than Saturday February 24 and I will save you a seat at the long table where we feast in the presence of our inferiors!

BTW, asphalt-eating members of G.O.A.T.S. are welcome to jump ship and join our team once we have cleaned them thoroughly inside and out with bleach and a firehose.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

I'm going to need an exception to be on the team this year. I will be using my mighty .410 out of necessity. I hurt my shoulder badly on a deer hunt in October. I have been jumping through insurance hoops for months trying to get approval for an MRI. I finally got it a few weeks ago and was sent to see an orthopedic surgeon after the results came back. Three of my four rotator cuff muscles are 100% torn and the fourth one is 20% torn. My doctor was amazed I could still use my arm a little given the size of the tears. I have surgery scheduled the last week of this month. I'm not going to be anywhere near 100% by the time season starts here but there's no way I'm missing it. I hope my arm will be out of the sling by then but I'm still going to have to shoot left handed either way. I'm right handed and of course it was my right shoulder that was injured. So I will sit this one out if you need me to, or I'm in if you don't mind the .410

FullChoke

CB,

I have always held that the spirit of the team is that there are viable, wildly effective alternatives to the Church of the Pointless Heavy Artillery. We have had several teammates through the years who have done their due diligence concerning patterning and effective range and have made quality decisions to tote even less tonnage to the woods in the form of 28 gauge or .410 shotguns. Many gobblers have been scored and posted on our team page that were rendered unable to offer any rebuttal to our teammate's decision other than getting blood down the back of their camo pants.

I would say that your decision to use a .410 this year based on health reasons does not violate the nature of our charter in any way.

I will say that The Roaring .410s doesn't have the same poetic syntax quality to it though. Just kill 'em, brother.

Welcome back to the team.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

I'll give it a go again this year if y'all will have me.  Going to be another messed up year due to an outage starting March 1 and who knows when it will end. But as the normal I'll be working nights so I can chase birds every morning.

Been building a house which has been fun with these new age workers  but we're about done.  Also dealing with some unfortunate circumstances dealing with a subcontractor with my gun shop work that has had me stressed to the max for the last 6 months. But all that is about over too thank goodness.

So I'm hoping I can get back into the turkey chasing mindset by the time season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

Rojjoo there 3seasons. We are proud to have you on our team and look forward to your incredible and successful hunts.

Lemme just give the table a good wipe there....and now you can have a seat. What can I get you? How about a fresh turkey sandwich with a side of G.O.A.T.S. cheese?

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

zelmo1

I would like the pleasure of representing our team this year. Florida trip in April and a couple OG friends coming to hunt with me. I am already excited. Z

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: FullChoke on February 03, 2024, 04:11:03 PM
Worthy advisors,

It is that time of the year again to crank up the diesel engine and let The Roaring 20s locomotive build up a churning head of steam and begin to cheerfully run over all of these other imposters in the 2024 Old Gobbler Turkey Hunting Contest!  If you are an R20s alumni in good standing and would like to be back on the team this year, please post here or send me a PM no later than Saturday February 24 and I will save you a seat at the long table where we feast in the presence of our inferiors!

BTW, asphalt-eating members of G.O.A.T.S. are welcome to jump ship and join our team once we have cleaned them thoroughly inside and out with bleach and a firehose.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Yes, My name is John and I'm a "not worthy imposter" ready to run the table AaaaaGain.  I'd like to wish you the best of luck eating our dust for a second place finish this season.
  :goofball:

Good luck to all you 20ga slayers.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

cannonball

Quote from: FullChoke on February 04, 2024, 01:12:05 PM
CB,

I have always held that the spirit of the team is that there are viable, wildly effective alternatives to the Church of the Pointless Heavy Artillery. We have had several teammates through the years who have done their due diligence concerning patterning and effective range and have made quality decisions to tote even less tonnage to the woods in the form of 28 gauge or .410 shotguns. Many gobblers have been scored and posted on our team page that were rendered unable to offer any rebuttal to our teammate's decision other than getting blood down the back of their camo pants.

I would say that your decision to use a .410 this year based on health reasons does not violate the nature of our charter in any way.

I will say that The Roaring .410s doesn't have the same poetic syntax quality to it though. Just kill 'em, brother.

Welcome back to the team.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

I patterned it yesterday and am getting it dialed in. I had an Indian Creek .385 ordered that was supposed to be here on Friday but it just showed up today. I will have to wait another week or two before I give the Indian Creek a try. The Carlsons TSS Turkey choke didn't do that bad from 35 yards but I would like to see less voids and flyers.

zelmo1

Overall nice pattern at 35 yards with a .410. If you can tighten it up just a little bit , it would be perfect. You can definitely hunt that bro. Z

FullChoke

Quote from: zelmo1 on February 05, 2024, 07:14:53 PM
I would like the pleasure of representing our team this year. Florida trip in April and a couple OG friends coming to hunt with me. I am already excited. Z

Dr. Z,

My favorite co-antagonist! You talk smack at these other teams with the best of them and I dig that about you muchacho! Let me just move these boxes of Christmas ornaments and this "How to Boil Goat" cookbook outdawayferya. Have a seat.

Welcome back, my brother.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

GobbleNut

Quote from: FullChoke on February 06, 2024, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: zelmo1 on February 05, 2024, 07:14:53 PM

Dr. Z,

My favorite co-antagonist! You talk smack at these other teams with the best of them and I dig that about you muchacho! Let me just move these boxes of Christmas ornaments and this "How to Boil Goat" cookbook outdawayferya. Have a seat.

Welcome back, my brother.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Oh NOOO, you didn't!  I will be nice to begin with and say that I hope everybody is back and doing well...and ready to go at it again.  However, I will also be informing my GOAT teammates about this affront and I suspect you will be hearing from some of them shortly with some fitting (and likely "colorful") rebuttals!   ;D :newmascot:

FullChoke

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 07, 2024, 09:39:48 AM
Oh NOOO, you didn't! ... However, I will also be informing my GOAT teammates about this affront and I suspect you will be hearing from some of them shortly with some fitting (and likely "colorful") rebuttals!   ;D :newmascot:

First off, thank you so much for your heartfelt and kind sentiments. Secondly, if I read you correctly, you are saying that I am already successful at STEAMING GOATS and that the rest of the feral herd could use a jolly good blanching as well. Hmmm, you don't think too much of them do you?  :goofball:

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke, Master Chef

Happy

Them Gums n elbows fellers don't skeer me atall. Heck, their ringleader must think he is British or something. And we know how tough the British are.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BBR12

I'll join in the 20 GA fun again this year if that is all well with the team. I also will be hampered by that thing we call work. I also have a kid graduating this year so that will cause some interruptions. However I'm putting the effort into maximizing my time off to chase the Tall Timber Gabriel as many days as possible this spring.