turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much pressure is too much pressure?

Started by Brillo, January 02, 2024, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

I am trying to chose between hunting two different areas in my state.  The areas have roughly the same populations of birds. Area A is close to home so I can hunt more often but gets more pressure.  It is common for me to see six or more vehicles driving at night or early morning and owl hooting on the perimeter roads of a square mile.  I am assuming the hunters in those vehicles are also penetrating the woods, etc and doing turkey hunting activities.  Area B gets half the pressure but is farther away and I won't get to hunt it as much.  The permits are mutually exclusive.  I generally hunt public land and that is what I am considering here.  Would you consider area A a high pressure area or is that tolerable pressure for a turkey?  I want to hunt area A and hunt more often.  What other factors should I consider?

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

deerhunt1988

Have Area A scouted extremely well and hit it as soon as the season opens. Then move on to less pressured B after I've exhausted A.

GobbleNut

Brillo, if I am understanding you right, it sounds like you have to make the choice between hunting one area or the other, not both.  If that is the case, my choice would be based primarily on whether or not driving the extra distance...and perhaps not getting to hunt as much...would improve my chances of having a quality hunt in terms of not having to compete with more hunters and maybe finding gobblers that had not been harassed as much. 

For me, at least, there is a saturation point with hunting pressure that ruins turkey hunting. I will travel further, if necessary, to hunt an area if I feel pretty certain that the hunting pressure will be below that saturation point for me.  If you don't feel confident that that will be the case in making that extra effort, then you might as well stick to the closer area with more hunting time...especially if the season is long enough that the pressure will have eased up later in the season.

Zobo

I agree with GobbleNut. If I had to decide between the two, I'd always choose to hunt less frequently in a less crowded area.  "Quality" over "quantity" if you will. 
   But if you're learning, younger and chomping at the bit, I can understand the desire you have stated for convenience and frequency.
   Nobody can answer whether or not 6 cars is too much pressure in area A, there are too many variables chief among them size of parcel, landscape, breakup, bird concentration, hunting style, etc.

My personal opinion is to choose option B. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

silvestris

Any pressure is too much pressure, including your pressure.  Tread lightly.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Brillo

I do have to pick one or the other and between three  different time periods.  Area A is a much larger area than a square mile but man, what a bunch of vehicles traveling the roads and parked around.  My DIL wants to hunt with me this year again and they live in area A so I may hunt A with her early and hunt B the next week.  She hunted with me last year and we came close a couple of times so I guess that has her fired up.  You all know that a turkey at 80 is not really close until he decides to move in to meet the new hen but my DIL does not know that ;D  It all adds up to more opportunity for me to gain experience.  Poor child does not have a better guide than me.   Thanks for your insight.

NCL

A couple of thoughts that may apply to your decision  I would give consideration to how long of a season do you have to hunt each area? My experience is that as the season progresses there seems to be less pressure. If the season is short this may not be applicable. Along with this thought are you available to hunt during mid week? People are at work an d less likely to be in the field. Of course the previously stated disclaimer may also here. Good luck with your decision

Brillo

NCL, those turned out to be good thoughts.  I got to looking at the dates and quotas which just came out and those factors moved me to area A.  Not sure which time slot I will apply for but the bigger issue is resolved.

Notsoyoungturk

I don't know how big area A is but I would really study it on the map.  Look at all the accesses and see if you can figure out a way to get away from the crowd.  A lot of hunters aren't willing to put in the leg work and get back to less hunted areas.  If there is a trail system, can you use gas powered vehicles.  If so, is there an area less accessible to ATVs.  Can you use a bike or E bike to get even further back to less accessible areas.  Just a thought.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

nancyfisher543

Quote from: NCL on January 04, 2024, 01:17:35 PM
A couple of thoughts that may apply to your decision  I would give consideration to how long of a season do you have to hunt each area? My experience is that as the season progresses there seems to be less pressure. If the season is short this may not be applicable. Along with this thought are you available to hunt during mid week? People are at work an d less likely to be in the field. Of course the previously stated disclaimer may also here. Good luck with your decision
Good I like your experience idea

Marc

If you can hunt both...  Hunt both.

Having been in a similar situation, I often hunted the closer spot in the morning, and drove to the further spot for late morning/early afternoon hunting...

Or hunt the further spots when time allows, and the closer spots when I am constrained for time.

I currently have several closer spots, that simply have too much hunting pressure to remain fun to hunt though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.