OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Changing a call finish

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, December 15, 2023, 06:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

So I like a glossy finish on my trumpets.  Sometimes I think that call makers will wet a call to make the colors pop but it has a matte or natural finish underneath.  To me a flat finish doesn't do the wood justice.  Can I just coat a call that has a flat finish with a gloss finish or do I need to do some light sanding first?  Actually I like the glossy Tru Oil finish used on gun stocks.  I don't have a lathe but I imagine I could just rub a gloss finish on with a cloth, or I can rig up my power drill to be like a slow lathe.  I trust that more than using my dremel tool like a lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on December 15, 2023, 06:34:51 PM
So I like a glossy finish on my trumpets.  Sometimes I think that call makers will wet a call to make the colors pop but it has a matte or natural finish underneath.  To me a flat finish doesn't do the wood justice.  Can I just coat a call that has a flat finish with a gloss finish or do I need to do some light sanding first?  Actually I like the glossy Tru Oil finish used on gun stocks.  I don't have a lathe but I imagine I could just rub a gloss finish on with a cloth, or I can rig up my power drill to be like a slow lathe.  I trust that more than using my dremel tool like a lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would sand it back to wood and start over. You might be successful with just a light sanding, but no telling what lies under the surface. Just be careful around the bell edges/opening as it can change the sound/draw of a trumpet.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

ol bob

I use Tru Oil, all the time, on oily woods like cocobolo, you have to put another finish on first or it will never dry. Rub a very light coat on with your fingers, let it dry, add more if needed.

Tribute Custom Calls

Changing the finish on a horn without the right equipment can be risky and challenging to say the least. I usually use Shellack on the tropical oily wood. As stated by Greg, you do run the risk of changing the sound, be careful.
Share the knowledge and introduce somebody to the Outdoors