OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does Old Heart Pine make a good box or lid? (pics attached)

Started by limhnger, July 07, 2011, 03:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limhnger

Houndstooth Game Calls

Dont know from call making experience but thats some tigh grain stuff from a forestry side. I would think if you needed a good peice of old growth pine to build a call you got it!

limhnger

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on July 07, 2011, 08:55:29 PM
Dont know from call making experience but thats some tigh grain stuff from a forestry side. I would think if you needed a good peice of old growth pine to build a call you got it!

that's for sure. no telling how old this piece of lumber was...got the lumber from a friend that specializes in reclaiming old heart pine and finishes it out into some sweet looking floor candy.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Yep here where I am we seperate the wood like that and its used for flooring that tigh grain makes it hard and it wont dent like the flooring thats cheap plus you get more money for the logs rather than average or plantation logs. I say buid a call and try it if it doesent turn out it would be nice to set on a book shelf but I am willing to bet it will work.

limhnger

I woodwork but just not on the call side. It's a fine piece of wood just need somebody to make it into something prettier whether as a display or field piece!

Dimensions- 2 1/4" x 2 1/2" x 21 1/4"

I've got some old cypress that's tighter than that!

culpeper

Though I have never tried with this wood, I would in a heart beat based on that nice tight grain structure...nice and straight as well and looks somewhat like douglas fir.  I had never tried that until a few months ago and I love it--built 6 more with it since and they all turned out great.