North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey hunting, with or without decoys, in term of efficiency

Started by YoungGobbler, October 27, 2023, 04:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 21, 2023, 09:13:24 AM
At my age, I need all the help I can get ... decoy, fancy calls, shotgun with a long range choke and TSS ... that most all of us, use this day and time...  :TrainWreck1:
Then, at my age, I can just use cheap normal calls, standard factory full choke and cheap 3inch lead ammo...   :toothy12: 

Greg Massey

Quote from: YoungGobbler on December 21, 2023, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on December 21, 2023, 09:13:24 AM
At my age, I need all the help I can get ... decoy, fancy calls, shotgun with a long range choke and TSS ... that most all of us, use this day and time...  :TrainWreck1:
Then, at my age, I can just use cheap normal calls, standard factory full choke and cheap 3inch lead ammo...   :toothy12:

:TooFunny:

bbcoach

Here's my 2 Cents!  I am 66 years old and this last spring I tried a NEW (to me) decoy setup (and it wasn't reaping), that I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with.  I won't elaborate at the present time, but it was Magical.  As I age, it's not about FILLING my tags, it's about EXPERIENCING wildlife and how they interact.  This setup allowed me to call in to the decoys, film and see some Amazing action from multiple birds on multiple days.  Could I have filled my tags, ABSOLUTELY but it was more GRATIFING to Watch the Show.  Decoys aren't a SLAM dunk, so don't believe they are but it is so wonderful at my age to ENJOY THE SHOW!

YoungGobbler

Quote from: bbcoach on December 21, 2023, 04:20:02 PM
Here's my 2 Cents!  I am 66 years old and this last spring I tried a NEW (to me) decoy setup (and it wasn't reaping), that I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with.  I won't elaborate at the present time, but it was Magical.  As I age, it's not about FILLING my tags, it's about EXPERIENCING wildlife and how they interact.  This setup allowed me to call in to the decoys, film and see some Amazing action from multiple birds on multiple days.  Could I have filled my tags, ABSOLUTELY but it was more GRATIFING to Watch the Show.  Decoys aren't a SLAM dunk, so don't believe they are but it is so wonderful at my age to ENJOY THE SHOW!
Sounds good! You want to elaborate on the decoy set-up?

GobbleNut

More folks need to have that attitude, bbcoach!...and here are my thoughts on why...

With the relatively recent advent of ultra-realistic decoys representing everything under the sun in terms of turkey postures, turkeys are being fooled to the point of their populations being jeopardized.  We are no longer in a time when old, experienced gobblers would survive because they could not be fooled by the original tradition of using turkey-calling alone to kill them.

Having said that, I am not necessarily against the use of turkey decoys.  What I am against is what I "feel" is an attitude by too many hunters that every gobbler that is pulled within range with whatever decoy type they might employ is fair game to be killed.  We, as hunters, cannot continue to have that mind-set.  Having the self-discipline not to pull the trigger every time will ultimately have to be voluntary within the hunting community...or it will be enforced through regulation by wildlife managers. 

Now, getting back to your original comment, YoungGobbler, IF you experiment with using decoys (which, by the way, I have no problem with), you will most likely figure out how to exploit the habits of turkeys such that you can kill them with regularity.  That ability must not be used with impunity, however.  With the ability to kill turkeys regularly needs to come the understanding that none of us should be taking advantage of that ability to the detriment of the resource.  Whatever the hunting method you choose to use, always keep that in mind.   :icon_thumright:

bbcoach

Well stated Gobblenut.  I especially like the last paragraph.  No matter how we choose to hunt, we must realize, we as Wildlife Managers (And each of us are Wildlife Managers) should be doing our BEST to leave the wildlife and wildlife habitat BETTER than we found it???  Filling tags is OK, within reason, but bragging about numbers has NO place with me.

eggshell

Dang bbcoach and gobblenut you two are party poopers. Here already had thought out a post that I have killed a million gobblers and took no prisoners. If it got in gun range it died. Take names and kick butt anyway you can. Now I will just look bad if I post my original thoughts. I thought being in the goats team was akin to being certified turkey assassins....(huge bold sarcasm font )   :character0029: :funnyturkey: :TooFunny:

On a serious note. I have hunted a bunch of those old gobblers that can't be killed by conventional one hunter and a call. I have a tried and true strategy. I keep after them until they become old and senile and their mental awareness, eyesight and instincts are all deminished and then I can kill them. I hope they never open season on old turkey hunters because I am an easy target if they do.

g8rvet

Should work well as long as you get to those birds before you become old and senile and their mental awareness, eyesight and instincts are all deminished   ;D :you_rock:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

YoungGobbler

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 22, 2023, 09:55:23 AM
More folks need to have that attitude, bbcoach!...and here are my thoughts on why...

With the relatively recent advent of ultra-realistic decoys representing everything under the sun in terms of turkey postures, turkeys are being fooled to the point of their populations being jeopardized.  We are no longer in a time when old, experienced gobblers would survive because they could not be fooled by the original tradition of using turkey-calling alone to kill them.

Having said that, I am not necessarily against the use of turkey decoys.  What I am against is what I "feel" is an attitude by too many hunters that every gobbler that is pulled within range with whatever decoy type they might employ is fair game to be killed.  We, as hunters, cannot continue to have that mind-set.  Having the self-discipline not to pull the trigger every time will ultimately have to be voluntary within the hunting community...or it will be enforced through regulation by wildlife managers. 

Now, getting back to your original comment, YoungGobbler, IF you experiment with using decoys (which, by the way, I have no problem with), you will most likely figure out how to exploit the habits of turkeys such that you can kill them with regularity.  That ability must not be used with impunity, however.  With the ability to kill turkeys regularly needs to come the understanding that none of us should be taking advantage of that ability to the detriment of the resource.  Whatever the hunting method you choose to use, always keep that in mind.   :icon_thumright:
This is something I do agree with but I have a bit of difficulty with it... I love hunting and I love eating wild game... But more and more I'm trying to take care of fragile species and fragile spots and I hunt them with care... 

bbcoach

Meleagris gallopavo

I analyze turkeys when turkey hunting.  My observations lead me to believe that many hen-deprived, 2 year or subdominant Toms are more susceptible to decoys.  Get a dominant Tom that has several hens with him and he'll likely ignore the decoys while one of his flunkies will peel off and challenge the decoys or a solitary Tom will fall for it.  If you roost birds and the dominant Tom flys down early he may fall victim to a decoy.  Later in the morning a dominant Tom will come to a decoy after his hens leave him, but that bird can be killed just with calling.  Time of the season has an effect too.  I feel many times decoys just keep the fighting Tom so preoccupied with the decoy that his guard is down and he's easier to shoot without the hunter being detected.  I think this is especially true when young hunters are afield and the person that they're with wants them to get a shot and not scare the bird off. 

What it boils down to is knowing when a decoy will work and when it won't.  Depends on the situation AND the bird you're hunting.  In many cases decoys may hurt more than help. Once you place a decoy in a field you're committed to that decoy working or you're sunk.  Very little flexibility after setting decoys up.  You have a focus of where the shot will be taken in the decoys instead of not knowing where the bird will be when a shot becomes available.  Lots to think about in my opinion. 

On a parting note, if you've NEVER used decoys your thoughts on decoys use are speculative at best or just judgmental bias.  Only way to truly KNOW about hunting with decoys is to hunt with them some. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

jhoward11

I'm a little more simple.... I use them, sometimes they work and sometimes not.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: jhoward11 on December 26, 2023, 01:50:56 PM
I'm a little more simple.... I use them, sometimes they work and sometimes not.
That too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.